World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first ever rod and reel set came from Woolworth's.

A black 5' fiberglass rod with red whippings. With a fixed spool reel.

The reel packed up, the rod lasted for years . I used to use for trout fishing in small burns.

I still had the reel when I was 21. Moved away from for work, came home and my room been cleared out of all my old things. The rod was gone.

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
My first "decent " sea rod and reel were a combination of a Milbro Cutlass, and an Intrepid Seastreak, neither of which I miss in the slightest .

My First "decent"freshwater rod was a Milbro Prefect and a Mitchell 300 reel.I still have them both some fifty three years on.

My first ever rod at all was a Tank Ariel that I purchased from an army surplus store in Haworth, home of the Brontes, I made a handle at school in the woodwork class, and built it up myself. I think some cheapish boys reel from Woolies was its companion.

Dave

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
An old, rusty cheap metal centre pin type reel and a tank ariel. Made snake type guides out of copper wire for the rod, nicked what I could in thread from the old man, sorted. caught lots and lots of roach and perch on it. Think I was around 8 -10.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi,

This put me back in the early '70s .... first rod and reel were a cheap set of a short fiberglass boat rod and a small "galion" reel, present from an uncle who was the only relative i knew that was an angler. Rod served me well for a few years, fishing from the local pier, at our holiday house in Normandy. Reel didn't last long and was replaced by a Mitchell 300, which i still own. After that it was followed by a pezon&michel 3.3m fiberglass rod and a mitchell 396pum reel .... served me for years untill i upgraded in my late teen's;)

Gert

Reactions: ebo

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

The reel packed up, the rod lasted for years . I used to use for trout fishing in small burns.

I still had the reel when I was 21. Moved away from for work, came home and my room been cleared out of all my old things. The rod was gone.[/QUOTE
Good old winfield stuff I remember the same one.The bailarm on the reel was a bent wire no roller!
Used mine for years lol

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My first "decent " sea rod and reel were a combination of a Milbro Cutlass, and an Intrepid Seastreak, neither of which I miss in the slightest .

My First "decent"freshwater rod was a Milbro Prefect and a Mitchell 300 reel.I still have them both some fifty three years on.

My first ever rod at all was a Tank Ariel that I purchased from an army surplus store in Haworth, home of the Brontes, I made a handle at school in the woodwork class, and built it up myself. I think some cheapish boys reel from Woolies was its companion.

Dave
Still got a milbro cutlass and still use it.
It’s like a bush handle but not bad on the rocks.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
White solid glass rod that was quite stiff with a wooden handle which had a small red centre pin screwed to it and had 10-20 yards of cotton or similar line.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
First shop- bought rod was a white fibre-glass with red whippings, coupled with an Milbro-Daiwa fixed spool reel. The handle broke off when I tripped over a guyrope on my parents caravan awning. It was replaced with an Intrepid Black Prince fixed spool that Dad got me with Green Shield stamps!

·
Registered
15,961 Posts
First shop- bought rod was a white fibre-glass with red whippings, coupled with an Milbro-Daiwa fixed spool reel. The handle broke off when I tripped over a guyrope on my parents caravan awning. It was replaced with an Intrepid Black Prince fixed spool that Dad got me with Green Shield stamps!
You, trip over? :eek:

Never would have believed it :rolleyes:

:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

·
Registered
888 Posts
My first ever rod was for course fishing it was made out of a old tank aerial + olg mitchel fixed spool reel don't remember the name.
Still ude old mitchel 300a +allcock match aerial centre pin for chub on the river
And a mitchel 300s for stalking carp in the summer.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You, trip over? :eek:

Never would have believed it :rolleyes:

Yeah, wasn't looking where I was going. My family and I were on a weekend break somewhere called Horsley Lake. My Dad blamed it on my ridiculously high platform boots. Broke my sunglasses too. They were probably the reason that I couldn't see in the first place!

·
Registered
15,961 Posts
Yeah, wasn't looking where I was going. My family and I were on a weekend break somewhere called Horsley Lake. My Dad blamed it on my ridiculously high platform boots. Broke my sunglasses too. They were probably the reason that I couldn't see in the first place!
Ah, footwear related again eh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
395 Posts
My old man bought me a load of tackle from an old boy who'd packed up.
The rod was an Edgar Sealey split cane and the reel was an Intrepid Elite.

The first reel I remember buying was a Mitchell 204 by saving spending money and doing jobs and running errands.
The first rod I bought was a glass number from the local tackle shop. I worked the whole of the six weeks school holiday for the tackle shop in the summer of 1979 and the rod was the payment.
I was taught to whip eyes on rods and served maggots.
I 'll always remember getting pulled aside after dishing up a pint of maggots for a bloke. The owner told me to be quicker when scooping up the maggots or they'd settle in the pint pot and I'd need to put more in

·
Registered
20,606 Posts

I still had the reel when I was 21. Moved away from for work, came home and my room been cleared out of all my old things. The rod was gone.
:) When we moved to NZ, I was 8, my dad built me a rod from bamboo which grew in the garden with eyes made from the bottom of safety pins with the bamboo pushed into a hole drilled into a broom handle with jubilee clips to hold the reel on. The reel was a centre pin reel I'd won in the SSAC boat competition for children before we left England. Line was green fishing line (string). Traces were made of catgut. I had lots of fish on this but lost a lot of big ones. I think I bought my first "proper rod and reel with my paper round money when I was 15, a 10ft solid glass RYDS rod and a Black Prince reel loaded with 10lb nylon. Still got the reel, rod got stolen years ago. :(

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
:) When we moved to NZ, I was 8, my dad built me a rod from bamboo which grew in the garden with eyes made from the bottom of safety pins with the bamboo pushed into a hole drilled into a broom handle with jubilee clips to hold the reel on. The reel was a centre pin reel I'd won in the SSAC boat competition for children before we left England. Line was green fishing line (string). Traces were made of catgut. I had lots of fish on this but lost a lot of big ones. I think I bought my first "proper rod and reel with my paper round money when I was 15, a 10ft solid glass RYDS rod and a Black Prince reel loaded with 10lb nylon. Still got the reel, rod got stolen years ago. :(
Not only a home made rod, but home grown too!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My first rod was a bit more advanced than you old timers :tongue2: but probably not much better lol it was a shakespeare mustang 7ft spinning rod and a shakespeare cosmos reel (pish), upgraded the reel to a steadfast dominator and that setup did me for a few years till I snapped the rod snagged on a tree. Still have the reel, over 20 years old now.

·
Registered
993 Posts
My first setup was an 8ft milbro fibreglass pier/boat rod, still got, and an intrepid black prince fs reel, xmas presents off parents 1970.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Those Black Prince reels sure got around didn't they? All the kids had one back in the 70s. I wish I hadn't junked my old fibre-glass rod, it was only recently. Totally knackered, and battered, having been strapped to the crossbar of my pushbike many times. A piece of childhood history. We were packing to move house, chucking away allsorts. I was a bit too ruthless.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts