World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wonderin what some people would do, if you were fishing off rocks and the tide was coming in fast behind the rocks, cutting you nearly off, and just before you about to pack away, you get a bite, which is a big fish and is going to take a bit to reel in. Would you cut your line and get on to dry land before the tide cuts you off, or reel the fish in and wade across the water, hoping its not to deep or the tide wont push you over??

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
afraid to say the latter. no point gonig fishing to not catch a fish is there. i would take the chance, if i knew i wouldnt get back then i would cut my line but if i had a small chance of getting back i wud take it

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, it would depend how big the fish is to me, if it was once in a lifetime fish, i would take the chance, if not, i suppose i would cut my line

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I was just wonderin what some people would do, if you were fishing off rocks and the tide was coming in fast behind the rocks, cutting you nearly off, and just before you about to pack away, you get a bite, which is a big fish and is going to take a bit to reel in. Would you cut your line and get on to dry land before the tide cuts you off, or reel the fish in and wade across the water, hoping its not to deep or the tide wont push you over??
No fish is worth a life.

If you knew you were really going to get cut off and be in trouble hopefully commonsense would take over.:)

C

·
0 Posts
I would get to safety first and hope that the fish was still on the end of the line. No good getting the fish of a lifetime if you are just about to cut it short by a good few years:)

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I'd hope there was sufficient line still on the reel to put the click on and release the drag, then retreat to a safe haven releasing line, and play the fish from there. Do this often at Carsethorn in S.W. Scotland when the tide runs in behind and cuts you off.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have done it before on peak steel at ravenscar !! not for a big fish but the codling were going daft just as the tide started filling in around the back.

Stayed on for 2 extra casts and 2 nice fish !!

Was a bit hairy wading back across though in the near dark !!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I would don my speedos and take my sledge hammer out of my utility belt! Then swim out to do battle with the monster fish with my sledge hammer!! :)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
give the fish line on the drag as you walk back through the gully behind you. then try and find the best way to get the fish to you.

if you had a friend with you then he/ she could get the gear safe, then stand in the deepest water to get back through. giving it til the last minute o land the fish, often gullies look deeper than they are and vica versa.

·
Registered
456 Posts
no harm to those lades ho say thay would stay and get the fish of a life time i would feel better catching another 100 small fish than get one big one that nobody is going to see:giveup: when the coastguard look for u floating around in the sea lads thay wont look for the fish that got u killed .......and put it in jail for life(that fish will be there again lads dont be daft and risk it)that fish it not :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts