World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you DABsters or anyone else fished Chesil recently? What's coming up?

A few mates and I were thinking about making the trek down there monday night, we usually fish at Abbottsbury but if any other stretches of the beach are producing then any info will be great.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
not sure, havnt been for a while and not heard many reports...
i need to know too as i've got a rover match this friday...

G

·
The last time we fished it a week ago last Saturday there was little in the way of day time fishing. It really could depend on the conditions though with Mackeral/Bream/Garfish/Pollock/Gunard/Bass all possible during the day and of course Doggies and Spider Crabs (still around in numbers). Night could bring hounds and ray too! Its really getting to the time of year when the 'locals' avoid Chesil - just too busy! And seek out other marks - with varying success I might add! You could try PM'ing Codfather 2 he usually has some up to date catch info on Chesil or ring Dennings Tackle in Wyke Regis - they'll generally give good advice especially if you mention how far you'll be travelling! Best of Luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
weekend just gone we were at dragons teeth, mackie everywhere at about 9pm each evening. Huge shoals chasing bait fish up and down the beach just ten yards out. amazing to watch, stopped fishing for them as it was just ridiculous really. 2 Bass went to feathers.. keepers too! only doggies on the mackerel fillets at range.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
heard of quite a few bass at abbotsbury..
worth putting a big bait in under over low water perhaps?..... last time i went i must've had 30 or more joeys, so a live joey in under i reckon would av'em.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The last time we fished it a week ago last Saturday there was little in the way of day time fishing. It really could depend on the conditions though with Mackeral/Bream/Garfish/Pollock/Gunard/Bass all possible during the day and of course Doggies and Spider Crabs (still around in numbers).
Thanx for the info we're planing to go Abbotsbury Friday, pity we can't be there at night but one of our friends has to be back to drive to Scotland Friday night.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Meself and mate are planning to fish by the Dragons Teeth/ ish
this sat am HW 1.30pm........
1 rod at dist ,.....and 1 under our feet..allmanner of baits

can anybody giss a shout if its worth the 100 mile trek down
and if and wots been coming out this week....during day tides ???

cheers
Gaz :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Meself and mate are planning to fish by the Dragons Teeth/ ish
this sat am HW 1.30pm........
1 rod at dist ,.....and 1 under our feet..allmanner of baits

can anybody giss a shout if its worth the 100 mile trek down
and if and wots been coming out this week....during day tides ???

cheers

No it's not you're better off biting your arm.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
what and when did ya fish abb,s then Fishnsurf
this week........................
Itake it from ya reaction ..........it stunk

could be chewin on me elbow instead....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Spider crabs and dogfish are a real problem at the moment on chesil, however if you can get through them, then you could be in with a chance of a good fish or two.

Went to abbs, oil tanks, and that special place on chesil, all last week, ended up biting my arm and packing up early on all occasions due to the above critters; however I have managed some spotted ray, a herring, some black bream and a few tiny smutts.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
abb,s has been plagued by the top 2 since god knows,so wot the hell
if theres the chance of the rest ...even if only a few
we,ll chance it....spare snoods are us .com......lolol

thanx mate.....gotta be in it ta win it.!!!!!!!!

Ill shout back atcha once were dun......
and give a scale of 1 to 10 on crappiness.
were gonna have 2 hrs at the bill just to whet out appetites
gotta give a few lures to the sea gods......lolol

cheers

·
Registered
316 Posts
We've not long got back from Abbotsbury, fished from about 10.30am to 5pm there were plenty of Mackeral being caught by all who feathered, nothing else was being caught by those fishing around us, and no-one seemed to catch by casting and watching for bites, we didn't even get any wave movement on the line, so joined those feathering and caught loads of Mackeral all sizes

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not too suprised about that. When i've been there on calm clear days the fishing has been slow during daylight but as soon as the light begins to fade its like someone flicks a switch and the rod tips come to life!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
If it is so calm there is no movement, try using a plain lead with a strip of macky on a Single dropper or similar with a size 1 hook and wind in slowly and occasionally, you may find you pick up a gurnard or small Ray

·
Registered
169 Posts
I fished abbots last night and it was very quiet Glen and i used macky ,squid even crab and didnt have a bite after 8pm but saying that we caught 3000 white bait as they jumped out the water onto our feet trying to avoid small mackys so i got out my spinning rod and had agreat time three feathers 1oz weight and 5 lb line as far as i know no one else caught tlast night

·
Registered
316 Posts
We did wonder if it was because those either side of us was feathering and hitting the water pretty hard with the weights continuosly, was scaring the fish, but when we started feathering the mackies couldn't wait to get on the hooks :)

It was good just to be out there, a bonus to beable to take some fish home with us. A good day was had by all

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
fished in a rover match last night at the masonic ... caught plenty of dogs and mackerel, a hound, a few pout and a red gurnard

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well not really much to report from Abbottsbury apart from doggies, a few pout and loads of mackerel, the sea was so thick with them all day that we were getting line bites.

Nothing much of note happened apart from my mate being an idiot, I recieved a phone call from him less than an hour after he left to say that he had just turned into the car park and was wondering where we were fishing, when I asked him how he had completed a good 2 hour journey in less than an hour he replied "Clymping isn't 2 hours away mate" I laughed my head off and to be fair, so did he! He couldn't believe he'd gone there and put it down to the fact that last week we were discussing a trip to Clymping in the near future and he was on autopilot!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts