Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know where it's gone?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for that. Failure to read properly was the cause, apologies. Mods please can you shut down or remove the thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Removing a Forum as important as Conservation & Angling Politics isn't going to make the problems go away, it merely removes the opportunity of those on both sides to discuss/argue/fight over them.
Sticking your head in the sand wont solve the problems of MLS, Bag limits, gill-netting etc, it just removes one of the few forums where it can be talked about!
A very "Lib Dem" decision Mr Thrussell!:nonono:
blueskip

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I think this is probabily one of the waste moves this site has made. Admittidly it wasn't used that often however what was written in there was very productive and interesting.

It always created constructive conversations. Poor show WSF.

kelvin

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
Removing a Forum as important as Conservation & Angling Politics isn't going to make the problems go away, it merely removes the opportunity of those on both sides to discuss/argue/fight over them.
Sticking your head in the sand wont solve the problems of MLS, Bag limits, gill-netting etc, it just removes one of the few forums where it can be talked about!
A very "Lib Dem" decision Mr Thrussell!:nonono:
blueskip
totaly agree with u blueskip mike the likes ron and little gang got u ,your distion play that into anti hands showing even on fishing site that commercial boys rule the roost .am been on site a long time and very disported in this and ones caused all trouble in opoin just do it fun and have never back they post up just beacause they iver work or used too in industry that they no what they and talking about we all no this c**p beacause sea healthy are they say it is they would be still geting as much as want at of it like good old days:uhuh: well it going too to other threads all over the site and become big problem.conservation is only way forward and very sad day this site turns it back it.shaggy

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Removing a Forum as important as Conservation & Angling Politics isn't going to make the problems go away
The idea to remove the forum wasn't to make the problems "Go Away", there are no doubt other forums on the net on which conservation issues can be discussed, it's just that Mike felt WSF was not the right platform to discuss them. The forum is all about Sea Angling, sharing knowledge, chatting about tactics and making friends, all the Conservation Forum did was make enemies and create opposing factions which carried on the same unchanging opposing points of view from one thread to the next, to the next etc. I can't believe some of you want that to continue to be honest!

Local conservation issues can still be discussed in the regional forums, but at the discretion of the moderating team and providing they remain civil and on topic as Mike said in the announcement, all that's happened is a forum section has been removed.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I can see both sides of this but you have to look at the facts. The conservation forum caused some real beefs and that was without doubt detrimental to the site, and as i see it the site has to protect itself where needed, if it was not for the heated comments, a lot made by me in the past it would indeed prove to be an asset, but it was not anywhere near used in the right way. It caused arguaments that turned into slanging matches and we only have ourselves to blame.

·
Registered
477 Posts
For anyone that has not read the announcement about the removal of the conservation forum, Mike has also announced that there will from April be a conservation BLOG available. That will allow the good conservation information to be displayed without the petty bickering.

A good move I believe.

If the conservation stuff was just being binned and conservation as an issue being ignored I would agree with the negative comments some folks have made, but I think that this way the essential conservation information and discussion will still take place, but without the "noise" getting in the way of the facts.

Nice one Mike :)

I personally believe that today you can no more seperate sea angling from conservation issues than you can drink beer without pi55ing :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
As you say "World sea fishing is about catching fish and having fun! "
Regretably that will not happen unless there are fish to be caught ( in abundance)!
With all that is happening in the RSA political/ conservation world at the current time I think it very short sighted of WSF to remove this forum now as there are not too many places where this type of issue could be openly debated ( Would welcome any pointers as to other sites)! Yes it may have caused a few problems, but it was a good forum in which opposing points of view could be expressed including those from commercials. Perhaps it may just have broken down a few barriers as well as the opposite. I know I for one learnt from the forum and am sad to see it go. I suppose I will have to look elsewhere for such information now.
Hope you Mods and Mr T have a quiet time in the blinkered world you have now created.

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
For anyone that has not read the announcement about the removal of the conservation forum, Mike has also announced that there will from April be a conservation BLOG available. That will allow the good conservation information to be displayed without the petty bickering.

A good move I believe.

If the conservation stuff was just being binned and conservation as an issue being ignored I would agree with the negative comments some folks have made, but I think that this way the essential conservation information and discussion will still take place, but without the "noise" getting in the way of the facts.

Nice one Mike :)

I personally believe that today you can no more seperate sea angling from conservation issues than you can drink beer without pi55ing :D
At least somebody can read :) The blog will increase the readership of conservation 3 or 4 fold from the statistics we gather across the site and where people read information and where they bounce (that means leave). Only a very select members read and contributed to the conservation forum and it was not useful as most of the 300,000 unique users ignored the area. Computer says we can drive more traffic to a blog than we can to a forum.

Hope you Mods and Mr T have a quiet time in the blinkered world you have now created.
We are creating a better, bigger and more visited section for it, doubful that we've created a blinkered world, we are changing the format, don't cherry pick sections out of the announcement the key phrase in that announcement was "IN IT'S PRESENT FORM".

A very "Lib Dem" decision Mr Thrussell!:nonono:blueskip
Read the announcement...its changing format and is been moved to the main magazine area of the site (thus a blog). Read before you post - it generally means you get the full facts and don't post something insinuating we are doing something we are not ;)

totaly agree with u blueskip mike the likes ron and little gang got u ,your distion play that into anti hands showing even on fishing site that commercial boys rule the roost .am been on site a long time and very disported in this and ones caused all trouble in opoin just do it fun and have never back they post up just beacause they iver work or used too in industry that they no what they and talking about we all no this c**p beacause sea healthy are they say it is they would be still geting as much as want at of it like good old days:uhuh: well it going too to other threads all over the site and become big problem.conservation is only way forward and very sad day this site turns it back it.shaggy
Again, Read the Announcement.

Despite what most people think, forums are not the most widely read area of this site by head of users ;)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh dear, I am beginning regretting asking the question in the first place, it seems to be starting to cause just as many arguments, in the sense of opposing opinions as the orginal forum did.

There is a Conservation and Politics forum on www.anglersnet.co.uk where the discussions are as passionately defended or proposed as on here.

To my mind I am in two minds, having thought about it, but it's Mike's site and it is up to him to do as he sees fit at the end of the day.

One thing I do know, there were people becoming so angry on there that the forum was giving the Mods a headache. If perhaps everyone could confine themselves to reasoned argument and not insults as happened frequently then perhaps it may have lasted.

But as they say en francais, c'est la vie.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I am a bit dissapointed that its been removed

I have been enjoying reading the posts in that forum over the past few weeks.

To me conservation issues are an integral part of the sport.

Polititicians are for ever worrying about how to get people interested in polictics again. That forum section was a place for people to air their opinions and get involved and gain knowledge. A healthy place which showed that people are interested.

If posts were getting personal? Well then thats what moderaters are for - to keep things inline/on track and to stop any nastiness.

I will wait and see if the blog is a worthy substitute.

Paulie

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
sickening is it not the way this thread has gone off topic and endedd up silly?
well that is exactly why the conservation forum got the heave ho, because it was not used sensibly and people got threaghtened and all macho at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sickening is it not the way this thread has gone off topic and endedd up silly?
well that is exactly why the conservation forum got the heave ho, because it was not used sensibly and people got threaghtened and all macho at the drop of a hat.
That's why we need the delicate orange mits of the Mighty Chesilmaster to bring us back to earth

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.