World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Whats the advantage of using Trident Pulley Clips vs Breakaway beads

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Jackjock 
#1 ·
Hello, as the title asks. i am wondering if the Trident Tackle Pulley clips have any advantage over the Breakaway Tackle Pulley beads or are they just another gimmick? you opinions please.

#3 ·
Having used both, when I've snagged I've had all my breakaway beads damaged, the mono has worn down into the plastic and makes a grove that then ruins the line too.

The Trident ones so far don't do that and the way the line goes through them I don't think it can.
For me this alone is why I use them. Fact they are cheaper too is a bonus and I have caught more fish risking my gear more with it being cheaper.

#4 ·
I came up with a 2nd way to use the trident aero pulley clip, used on the rig body as a stand off for what i call a adjustable paternoster, attach swivel to one end of the rig body followed by a soft bead, then thread it through top hole then through the hole below so it enters and exits the same side of aero pulley then add small hard bead + a stop knot below (it does hold itself once clipped up S/knot is for added security) then attach your preferred lead/bait clip,attach snood to aero clip then clip up next to the lead adjust aero clip up or down for tension, I've had no problems with tangles or damage to the line it casts great too. Cheers
Kaiih

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Trident pulley beads are far stronger than any other pulley beads ive tried but I cant see the point in the figure of eight when treading your rig line through. Ive cut the bottom off the ones I got just as a experiment and found there more aerodynamic and neater with the same strength. I must say I'm not the biggest fan of pulley rigs so when I use them I do mine semi fixed to get a better hook up ratio by placing a stop knot at one side of the pulley bead.

#6 ·
Trident pulley beads are far stronger than any other pulley beads ive tried but I cant see the point in the figure of eight when treading your rig line through. Ive cut the bottom off the ones I got just as a experiment and found there more aerodynamic and neater with the same strength. I must say I'm not the biggest fan of pulley rigs so when I use them I do mine semi fixed to get a better hook up ratio by placing a couple of stop knots either side of the pulley bead.
I've found with my dia leader the fig8 offers resistance to the line and I believe that aides hooking.
Certainly my bite to fish ratio shot up with the Trident pulley compared to breakaway or plain swivel I used before.

Reactions: Kaiih Henson
#8 ·
Yes, I agree with piker20 as well as the stop knot adds resistance so it initially acts like a fixed paternoster or even like a bolt rig, which allows the fish to hook itself. Pulley rigs are for serious rough ground and the fixed pulley works lot better on clean/mixed ground, with a lot better hook up rate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.