1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sole Man!
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell what the flatfish I've caught {not that I have} is ;
flounder/plaice/turbot /dab
Are there easy to spot differences.
I've seen catch reports with photos of small turbot but if I caught one {please god}
I would assume it was a flounder.
TIA
brolly
:huh:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quick guide : if its muddy brown and smooth to the touch when rubbed up and down it`s back its probably a flounder. A plaice is a similar brown but the the orange spots are very pronounced and will remain after the fish is dead (assuming you keep it ). A dab is sandy coloured and almost transparent. Rub the skin from tail to head and it will feel rough. A turbot you won`t confuse with any of the others except maybe a brill but catching one from the shore is unlikely.
Hope this helps.
R

·
Sole Man!
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both, I just noticed that there seemed to be a lot of discussion on the forum as to wether a fish was a plaice or a flounder I they both seemed to look very similar & this helps a lot.
best wishes
brolly

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thanks both, I just noticed that there seemed to be a lot of discussion on the forum as to wether a fish was a plaice or a flounder I they both seemed to look very similar & this helps a lot.
best wishes
brolly
some of the flounder i have caught at loughor have had orange spots on them,but they are a lot less prominent than they are on a plaice.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts