1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
:g: hmmm , looks like the same reel to me mate , just different names stuck on the side,
but the coned spool is a nice touch ( great for casting :) )
cuberd

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the mustads a bit cheaper too:)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Interesting as I bought a zeus 5000 of veals. One difference is the spools. The zeus comes with 3 different sizes the other doesn't seem to have the chamfered front spool or the titanium coated bail arm and roller. You will see the spool I'm on about in veals picture of the zeus. I've seen this reel under the ryobi banner too. I'm happy with the grauvel. I got the 2nd one in a combo off Tony's Tackle.
Veals tell me Grauvel will supply spares too. I've recommended them to a number of people. They are good with a capital G. Only time will tell on wear but I expect better than shimano aerlex etc and it is a better real than those too.

One guy on here said "I ain't heard of Grauvel" :) - can't help some people.

John

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I was wrong on ryobi version. It's not the same reel only 6 bearings. Could be the mustard and the grauvel have differences inside too.

John

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wrong on ryobi version. It's not the same reel only 6 bearings. Could be the mustard and the grauvel have differences inside too.

John

possibly,but they both seem to have 14 ss bearings.was thinking of getting a zeus,but may go with the mustad if it's the same:g:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Badge engineering, common among tackle mfrs, something they would rather you didn't know about.
Rod blanks made on same mandrels with different no of wraps of cloth, painted a different colour, with different rings. One for the U.K., one perhaps for australia. We don't know, only the ordering company and the mfrs know. Perhaps the FOI act would work and force the importers to reveal details to the GBAP (great british Angling Public).

Just a few thoughts.

philtherod

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The shallow spool on the zeus must be worth having if braid is going to be used. I've loaded my reel up with 30lb on one which actually turns out to 40 and 20 on the next. The shallow one will be loaded with 15lb powerpro and a shock leader.

John

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
think you'll find the mustad has a braid spool also.think there may be one difference.if the interweb is right,the grauvell has a 4.5 to1 gearing ratio,whilst the mustad is 5.0 to 1.personally i would go for 4.5 for reeling ease with a fish on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts