World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Tuesday night for a session in the heavy rain. Nothing but weed, weed and more weed on virtually every cast. After a few hours reeled in and saw something flipping around like crazy on the Maria Chase. I was about to grab it when I realised what it was in time. Somehow managed to get a weaver, as soon as I dropped the lure to the beach it came off and started to burrow showing off its poisonous spike.

Whats the most unexpected thing you have caught or snagged on a lure?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
guided shore/kayak trip in tobago,in exchange for two bottles of rum costing about £11

only fish of the day

shame guy took it for the pot.
didnt fancy trying it,in the same way i woudnt eat a wrasse although he assured me it was a "very nice eating fish".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
on a unbaited toby

weaver; followed in same sesh by the two biggest flounders I ever caught - pound for pound - they fought as strong as a bass in very shallow water

al

·
Registered
516 Posts
didnt fancy trying it,in the same way i woudnt eat a wrasse although he assured me it was a "very nice eating fish".
That's a nice grouper Karlos and I'm not surprised that your guide took it for the pot as they are considered a delicacy.

My most unexpected fish also came from Tobago, whilst I was fishing for barracuda on one of the flats - cranking a surface lure at max speed this fella took a fancy to it

Since then we've targeted bonefish by using surface or shallow-fished diving lures and caught dozens on the method. Lures appear to be selective for the larger fish too.
I can't remember catching any under 3lb and we've had them up to 9 or 10lb

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I was a young lad I was spining a german sprat on our local beach and foul hooked a very nice Flounder!!! What are the odds of that?

·
Registered
557 Posts
1985 caught a 3lb Cod on Admiralty Pier in August whilst feathering for mackeral.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
hi steve thats a nice bonefish.

saw them around but was unable to catch one.

was that taken at lambeu, by any chance? think you may have stayed at my mothers place some years back.

was told that about the grouper but couldnt bring myself to eat something that reminded me of a wrasse.(may of missed out there)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't know if this is rare but at last years SAS almost live fishathon I caught a gurnard on a 6 inch lure....

·
Registered
804 Posts
I caught a Big garfish on a rapala magnum, that was a surprise!

Caught Flounders by slow retriving a large worm over a sandy estury bottom.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Caught some sort of very small flatfish about 1 inch long. Foul hooked right through the poor little bugger. Guess my wedge just landed on it and impaled it.

Unfortunalty this is my only fish caught on a lure so far!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Strangest thing caught on a plug would be my father,

Night fishing in Cape Cod, hooked a good striper from a beach near some moored boats, had to bully the fish in quick. To prevent it from snagging on mooring lines. My father tried to grab the fish in the surf as I dragged it past him. So then had a Father/Striper double header. 12 stone of father on one treble/6 pound striper on the other.
Pliers, headtorch, and waterproof tape sorted it out.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Caught a Turbot on a Toby with a sea trout fly tied onto the treble with a short piece of line. Well nearly had it, fell off just before I could put my hands on it.

I did catch a vile yellow rubber sex doll below the Erskine Bridge on the Clyde south of Glasgow. That was not on a plug but a three hook match rig baited with lug, rag and that old bait additive biotrak if anybody remembers that. Tried to weigh it in but the match steward said it was to old and besides it was burst anyway.

Been back every year with the same rig at the same time looking for a another doll run...must just have been a one off

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i have not caught any thing strange whilst sea fishing but i did catch a 12lb mirror carp on a j13 whilst piking once strange fish but was a welcome one that day as it was just about my last cast

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ohh caught an unexpected one the other day, apparently called a bass:fishing::laugh::laugh:

Aye that helps from time to time lol

Not launched a lure for a fortnight who knows what strange objects, people , randoms, species are waiting for me on Friday nights hooli

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.