World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)I think its pretty good fishing in morrisons docks for beginners because there's lots of whiting around(although i wouldn't recommend eating them)as well as pout,glockamunjy's,silver eels,mullet,mackerel,pollack and the occasional big cod, but i just wanted to know other people's thoughts about this fishing venue
All comments are welcome:thumbs:

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats wrong with eating whiting long as u block fillet them gets rid of most of the bones that way
No i didn't meen whiting as a species, i ment the whiting you catch from morrisons dock because as you know there's all sorts of the crap from the war ships,submarines and the princess salandia that have been put into there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We fish the dock in the winter and have mini matches which happen on a wednesday night cos of coro being on the telly(coro is now on thursdays so may change this winter):nonono:
anyway in the summer expect as you say little whiting,mullet,mackeral(if they get in when dock gates open) lovely eels and very,very odd pollack and cod.In the summer spinning with small lures will work for the pollack but at dusk.The cod if your really,really lucky come out at night.I have fished the dock numerous times and had no cod.In fact the night matches every wednesday night did not produce one sizeable cod and thats a lot of rod hours with zero cod.
mulllet will be there but you know how hard it is to catch them.There is one deep area opposite the old submarine where they dredged it some time ago and this is the area i would go for the cod, Anywhere for the whiting but these are only small and again night fishing is required.
hope this helps:fishing1::fishing1:

·
Registered
214 Posts
No i didn't meen whiting as a species, i ment the whiting you catch from morrisons dock because as you know there's all sorts of the crap from the war ships,submarines and the princess salandia that have been put into there.
the dock in fact is very clean now with no crap dumped on there-in fact there are lobsters in there and i know trout are in there from cav dock.In the winter its that clean you can see 30ft down.So yes if you do get any large fish i cannot see them doing you no harm

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advise mate and when you say "we" have competitions in the winter do you mean you and ur mates or the FSA

·
Registered
214 Posts
no just ones i organise-very popular as well!nearer the time i will post them on here.probably start around november.they are fun matches and goes on a points system which is easy to use.:clap2::fishing1:

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
u can count on me to participate

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hmm morrisons dock, never heard of mackerel being caught in there but ive had them in the middle lock system of the dock gates, as for anything else thousands of whiting on mackerel/lug or anything realy, cockamunjies, nice size pollock and cod (as seen in my photo album. imo there are far better places in the dock to fish then morrisons. like ya sed its perfect for beginners :thumbs:

·
Registered
726 Posts
my mate caught a mackeral one night with a strip of mackeral ledgered on the bottom which i thought was unusual, but i was there to witness it. this place is not only ideal for beginners and youngsters but would also be ideal for disabled anglers.I have also witnessed a 7 pound sea trout and an 8 pound cod come out of there, also a whiting or should i say half a whiting as something had bitten it in half while my mate was reeling it in. we used to fish right in the corner where the steps are against the fence as this was the easiest place to land anything big, the further along the walkway you go the higher the wall gets so you might need a drop net for anything large.

havn't fished there for a while but always found that mackeral was the best bait to use. ps does that cat still hang around the steps looking for a free meal.

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my mate caught a mackeral one night with a strip of mackeral ledgered on the bottom which i thought was unusual, but i was there to witness it. this place is not only ideal for beginners and youngsters but would also be ideal for disabled anglers.I have also witnessed a 7 pound sea trout and an 8 pound cod come out of there, also a whiting or should i say half a whiting as something had bitten it in half while my mate was reeling it in. we used to fish right in the corner where the steps are against the fence as this was the easiest place to land anything big, the further along the walkway you go the higher the wall gets so you might need a drop net for anything large.

havn't fished there for a while but always found that mackeral was the best bait to use. ps does that cat still hang around the steps looking for a free meal.
Yep the cats still there.I've seen someone catch a big cod also(i would estimate it to be just over ten pounds).

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I remember that cat, me and my uncle fished there once and it could smell our crabs so we chucked some to it and it ran off, this was like 2 in the morning, be carefull though theres wierdos down there (not the fishermen) :bleh:

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I remember that cat, me and my uncle fished there once and it could smell our crabs so we chucked some to it and it ran off, this was like 2 in the morning, be carefull though theres wierdos down there (not the fishermen) :bleh:
I've heard people making sum noises as well (if u know what i mean)

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep and it seems to happen every friday night these days.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yep and it seems to happen every friday night these days.
Was there last friday,didnt hear any noises thank god,mrs was with me might of got some ideas,perish the thought,any how rumor has it that a huge pollock well into double figures was pulled out last week,but you know what its like ,chinese whispers n that,normally take my lads down there and they love it,cos its not often you blank and its safe which is always a plus

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just to throw my pennies worth into the equation, i have spoke to the chemists who have to test the water quality, and put simply dont go eating sandwichs after handling fish out of dock before washing them!

No seriously, the tests in the past have proved that the water quality isnt good, and i was told 'You dont want to know whats in there!' thats always stuck in my mind.

By all means keep enjoyin the fishing there as i fish the winter mini matches there too. On the same note you certainly wouldnt find me eating a fish out of there. I know that all sorts of fish regarded as 'Clean' species have been seen and caught in there, but when you consider most fish species are attracted to sewer pipes, i'm sure you'll appreciate that most fish dont have too much trouble addapting to different water qualities providing the right oxygen and food source is good enough.

Besides, even if the dock was fresh salt water i would put fish back, as the stocks are only replenished when the gates open (providing fish are there to swim in too!). Think of it as a trout lake, only NOONE stocks.

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was there last friday,didnt hear any noises thank god,mrs was with me might of got some ideas,perish the thought,any how rumor has it that a huge pollock well into double figures was pulled out last week,but you know what its like ,chinese whispers n that,normally take my lads down there and they love it,cos its not often you blank and its safe which is always a plus
I've seen a huge pollock go for a whiting that i chucked back

1 - 17 of 17 Posts