World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in what's you're got to set up for both smooth and rough grounds.

I'm trying to get into using fixed spool for my shore fishing. But I still lean towards my multipliers.

I use both Envoy mag and the orbit tournament non mag.

There not the most expensive reels, but for the money they are good reels.
Matched up with a kompressor S and a Sonik black .

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
pair of Greys Syntra's 13ft 6in
Loved the Syntra's, one of the best tips I've used, a classic imo
Anyhoo,
Clean - Tronixpro vipers, Sonik SKS FS reels (13lb .30mm ghostline)
Clean/mixed ground, Century mk2 Supermatch's or Rovex Rangemasters/ matched with 65 sized reels, (usual brands Abu,Akios etc)
Mixed ground, Leeda Icon 'Elite' Powers/Greys Apollo Extreme 140's/ Tronixpro Naga's/TFGear Force8's matched with 515's, Qkuma alc Mags, Fathom 12's, Sl20sh's
This covers all my fishing bar floundering/spinning, Don't do rough grounding !

·
Registered
888 Posts
14ft Sonik sks4 xtr,diawa shorecast 6000B
Rod has emense power and i was lucky enough to get it almost brand new off eBay for £33 +£14 postage 1sy time i had ever bid.
Its a multiplier rod but works fine with a fixed spool reel but have used a multi on it looking for a 14ft sks3 xtr for clean to medium ground which will replace my shimano vengeance.
Sensor line in 15 and 18lb and 70 or 80lb ultima power flex shock leader. Leader knot always a mayhin knot aka Carrott knot tags always left 1/4 -1/2inch long goes through guides easier as flexible also knot is tapered narrower going towards lead i keep knot at the back of the spool F/S for cast this way no other coils have to pass over knot when leaving the spool helping prevent any crack offs + aiding distance.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Clean to mixed ground a pair of Imax fR plus rods with coupled with Penn surfblasters, Line normal 18 pound ASSO ultra cast and a tapered shock leader. For the odd occasion I manage to get to the rough I break out the Imax FR Extreme and go 60lb braid straight through.

Reactions: Colinmav

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
I'm interested in what's you're got to set up for both smooth and rough grounds.

I'm trying to get into using fixed spool for my shore fishing. But I still lean towards my multipliers.

I use both Envoy mag and the orbit tournament non mag.

There not the most expensive reels, but for the money they are good reels.
Matched up with a kompressor S and a Sonik black .
Making the switch to braid made the biggest difference to my fishing.

Make that change and the rest follows along to suit.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Just bought a new rock/rough ground rod...I wanted a 10 footer which seem to be out of fashion in the sea fishing world at the moment, so ended up buying a shimano ax forcemaster catfish rod....not used it yet but it’s rated to cast 500 grams so should be plenty strong enough to put out big bait close in...

Reel is a Fin-Nor Offshore 5500 which is a solid bit of kit....

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
For various reasons, I only have one set up nowadays...

11' 6" Shakespeare Salt X Flattie rod
TronixPro Envoy Mag multiplier with 12lb Daiwa Tournament mono and 40lb Greased Weasel shockleader.

(I am considering a 14' -15' Continental style rod with a matched fixed spool reel once we've moved home though.)

Reactions: ebo

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice post this one . I use a pair of century Tip tornados super match and a pair Abu blue yonders . fish mainly clean to sometimes rough ground ,but I know I have got the power there if I need it. Wanted a set up I could fish and cast with. Being Suffolk based suits all I need.

I have noticed in the sea mags more and more fixed spools being used in articles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can only say what I use really. I started off with daiwa D surf rods and Shakespeare tidewater reels. Bite detection was a bit naff but other than that nothing wrong with them apart from folding over in big tides. decent enough starter rods if looked after and I still have them and they still work.

Next I got penn 525 mag2 reels which I learned to cast multis with. Very user friendly mags and excellent drags but the clickers are pants. Plastic tongue wears in no time at all and needs replacing.
I paired those with penn rampage 13' rods which are ok but quite through action and fold over in any sort of tide.

Picked up a single Shakespeare salt mx which feels a better rod. More power in the butt, more tippy and holds on the medium tides better. I also got a tronixpro envoy monomag which I've now used once and actually really like it. Absolute bargain for £40. Casts well.

Also picked up an older and battered daiwa supercast RG which I replaced a few eyes on. it is bigger in the butt end but overall feels a fantastic rod. Tons of power and very sensitive tip which shows bites nicely and justs seems to sit nicer in the flow than the others and is now my favourite of all mentioned rods to use on the mersey. I use it with a 525 mag 2.

Recently got a imax fr extreme which I haven't got round to using yet.

I use 65lb Chinese spectra braid straight through on the penn 525s because I got sick of losing leaders. Now i mostly just bend out hooks or lose snoods.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Clean ground.
. 2x century tip tornado sport 13.6 4-8oz
. 2x pen 525 mags

Rough ground
. 2x tronixpro envoy 13.6 4-8 oz
. 2x tronixpro envoy tournament mags

But to be fair I really like the tronixpro rods and reels they seem to have become my weapon of choice for all my fishing at the minute.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use the tronix orbit and an envoy mag.

I use the mag on my Sonik black and the orbit on Century S .

·
Registered
641 Posts
Clean to mixed
Zziplex profile evo x2
And either tsm2 magged or Penn mag 525s
Mixed to rough
Zziplex primo & zziplex zti with saltiest 20s or 30s depending on size of fish I’m after and range needed

·
Registered
144 Posts
Forgot, I also have a shakey salt bass rod I pair with a daiwa emblem s5000t for the clean beach

Used my tronixpro envoy monomag again yesterday to fish a match. Biggest fish i had was a nice whiting so nothing big but it handled everything well. Ive been giving it a good run uder the cold tap after each use. Still very impressed with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts