World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a few whelks washed up on the beach where i was digging,are they any good for bait and if so what species.......:g:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Tried them many times. Had a couple of codling on them but lug always worked better.
Crewed a couple of times for a friend who longlined off Felixstowe. He would use them only if a line was to be left for 24 hours.
His usual trip would only be fishing the lines for about 6 hours. Then he would use lug.
Whelks are tough enough to slow the crabs down though!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...how did you prepare them?the ones i got are quite large,also if you know is there an easier way to get them out of there shell,i used a hammer but it was a bit messy..........:)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
They do catch wrasse and are ok to tip off for flatfish. Not a great bait really, although razorclams that can get washed up are a superb bass and cod bait at the right times.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yeah, you can use them for tipping or thread a few up the hook. Best hooked through twice to stop them slipping over the hok point if you get what i mean.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys,one more thing to add i see buckies or winkles on the rocks,are they worth picking up?i enjoy the odd platefull myself but cant see how fish would develop a taste for them as access to a pin might be difficult....:)

·
Banned
820 Posts
thanks guys,one more thing to add i see buckies or winkles on the rocks,are they worth picking up?i enjoy the odd platefull myself but cant see how fish would develop a taste for them as access to a pin might be difficult....:)
A fishes stomach juices will dissolve out the inside with no problem and get the goodness out of a welk or buckie. We often find them in Cod's stomachs along with grit sand rocks etc. I guess they just hoover it all up along with the food they are targeting.
I found some fresh whitish eel like things in a 6lb Cod I caught from Johnshaven harbour. No idea what they were. It also had a length of coarse white string that looked identical to the eel things. I often wonder if it just made a mistake.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice one :clap3: i never thought of the digestive juices,whole new train of thought going on now,thanks for that as im just away to bed,hope YOU all have a good nights sleep........:clap2:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Tried them years ago in Winter for codling, I didnt have much joy with them more the pity as I had a friend who could have supplied me with any amount.Strange that whelks on longlines were mentioned,someone told me about that years ago.

·
Registered
244 Posts
well i dont know if these work aswell, and not 100% sure on the name, but pipe fish, which can be found on rocks at low tide, well near to where i fish anyway, are found in cod's stomachs alot. I only found out about when a mate told me that he had been out in a charter boat, fishing for cod, didnt catch a thing, so the skipper tried some pipe fish, and they started catching all off a sudden, and when gutted, the stomachs were full of them. Dont know if they work all the time, but if nothing else works, theres no harm in trying, never had any experience with them my self, so anyone out there is welcome to correct me

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i dont know if these work aswell, and not 100% sure on the name, but pipe fish, which can be found on rocks at low tide, well near to where i fish anyway, are found in cod's stomachs alot. I only found out about when a mate told me that he had been out in a charter boat, fishing for cod, didnt catch a thing, so the skipper tried some pipe fish, and they started catching all off a sudden, and when gutted, the stomachs were full of them. Dont know if they work all the time, but if nothing else works, theres no harm in trying, never had any experience with them my self, so anyone out there is welcome to correct me
i know of a place in summer that they can be collected by hand,might be worth a go........cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts