World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
turns into a bit of a disaster ..................

myself , billy, Wendy and Micheal launched the boat at around 12:30 pm ish from seafield rd {lytham } and proceeded to head out ,it was a lovely day sun was out and the sea was flat calm ,

plenty of bait and hopefully we'd get a few macky out there well ,it took a while finding any but we got a few ,

i changed to baits and the fishing was slow to say the least

one of mine that took a large strip of squid ,

it was Wendy and michael's first trip out and wendy's first and Pb bass

it slowed right off around 5 pm ish so we decided to head back in this is where things went wrong ..............

we had left it a bit late and unfortunately picked the wrong channel and ended up catching the rocks with the outboard and ripping something necessary of it

ooooooooopppppppppssssss

we finally managed to get back to the slip under manual power and get the boat onto the trailer

the morale of the story is ....................

we all have channels in life to follow ..................pick the wrong one and sh*t will happen and you'll get nowhere fast ,:):)

tightlines.........................daz

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
well yesterday we decided to shoot out from seafield rd in the boat for a few hours .so we launched from the slip at seafield and out we went, it was nearly high water when we launched so no problems and started heading out towards the oil rig stopping every now and again to see if any mackeral were about.
when we got about 5/6 miles out we anchored up and me and daz swapped from feathers to worm and wendy and mickeal carried on feathering.
micheal was first in with a weaver and then 2 small mackies and wendy had a nice mackie,me and daz were catching dabs on the worm.
a bit later on wendy decided to give bait a go as the mackeral had vanished as the tide turned, and bang a 4lb bass that pulled like a train.daz got a tope pup and several more dabs came aboard.
at 17.00 we decided to head back in and this is where it went pear shaped.
after trying to negotiate the maze of channels to get back to the slipway we went over the training wall and clipped it with the prop,that snapped the prop shaft and the prop came off.
we were sitting about 4/5 miles out with the tide still running out like a train with no engine.:oops:
so i decided to toss the anchor over and wait for the tide to turn and row back with the incoming tide.
the out going tide ended up with us sitting on a sandbank in 3 inches of water until 21.00 when we floated off. (in the meantime i got out for a walk and found the prop:clap2:
it was no0 use to us though as the actual shaft had snapped!
eventually we were floated off the bank and i started to row us home.we landed at about 23.00 and offr we went, everyone was starving and knackered as a short trip tuirned into a marathon.
I ended up with arms like arnie after rowing us about 4 miles back. alls well that ends well.
during all this nobody was in any danger and we all had life jackets and mobiles on us.it was in fact quite a nice night to be stuck.
daz has the pics (as usual)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Billy, apart from the mishaps!!! That was one good read:clap3::clap3:

Glad you all made it back safe btw :marinheir

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it just goes to show ................

it doesnt matter how experienced you think you are or how much you think you no a place it can be dangerous, misjudged them rocks by a matter of inches :doh::doh:

tightlines.........................daz

·
Registered
670 Posts
nice to see that you all got back on dry land ok,and got fish just goes to show anything can happen out at sea

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good to see you are all ok and safely back dry land but the questions remain as to SAFETY i.e Spare engine, life jacket for the skipper , and reading through Billys report and 1001`s report it would show lack of experiance if the truth be known. Were you too embaraced to shout for help to get you in sooner one asks ? Its a wonder no-one spotted you stuck out on that bar and you ending up getting a visit from the RNLI.:nerd::nerd: ! ! !

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Good to see you are all ok and safely back dry land but the questions remain as to SAFETY i.e Spare engine, life jacket for the skipper , and reading through Billys report and 1001`s report it would show lack of experiance if the truth be known. Were you too embaraced to shout for help to get you in sooner one asks ? Its a wonder no-one spotted you stuck out on that bar and you ending up getting a visit from the RNLI.:nerd::nerd: ! ! !
as for lack of experiance i have been a small boat owner for 30 years.on board we had 4 life jackets and 2 floatation suits,
as we were in no danger whatsoever and had already decided to sit it out and return with the incoming tide there was no reason to call the coastguard.we were quite happy to sit and continue fishing as we could not realy do anything else.
if on the otherhand i thought that we were in any danger what so ever then the coastguard would have been informed and we would have walked to safty across st annes beach,embarrasment would not have come into it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
as for lack of experiance i have been a small boat owner for 30 years.on board we had 4 life jackets and 2 floatation suits,
as we were in no danger whatsoever and had already decided to sit it out and return with the incoming tide there was no reason to call the coastguard.we were quite happy to sit and continue fishing as we could not realy do anything else.
if on the otherhand i thought that we were in any danger what so ever then the coastguard would have been informed and we would have walked to safty across st annes beach,embarrasment would not have come into it.

If you had 4 lifejackets Billy how come you wernt wearing yours then ? and with that much experiance you will no dout be aware of the HIDDEN dangers of not wearing a life jacket and a hidden danger can and has cropped up at the most unexpected moment. And what happened to the auxilary engine then (just in case of emergencies)?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i always carry a life jacket and i choose not to wear it. i worked on the manx trawlers years ago and did not wear one then either,that is my choice no matter what you or anyone else thinks about it. as for a spare engine just for emergencies i dont carry one because i carry oars and i know i can row in just like i did do.
just to clarify one or two things ,1- we were about 15feet from st annes beach in a channel and 2- we were in 6 inches of water, i got out of the boat and went for a walk.( without my life jacket on)

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
i always carry a life jacket and i choose not to wear it. i worked on the manx trawlers years ago and did not wear one then either,that is my choice no matter what you or anyone else thinks about it. as for a spare engine just for emergencies i dont carry one because i carry oars and i know i can row in just like i did do.
just to clarify one or two things ,1- we were about 15feet from st annes beach in a channel and 2- we were in 6 inches of water, i got out of the boat and went for a walk.( without my life jacket on)
Well said :clap3:

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
:laugh::clap3::clap3:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The new Massiah eh , walk on water :clap::clap:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The new Massiah eh , walk on water :clap::clap:

now if i can just get the hang of turning water into wine,then it would have been a bit more fun waiting for the tide.in fact i would prob still be there now! and would have had my hands full trying to drag wendy away.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
quick update, just got the engine back after repair and it was done under the warrenty so was free so something good came out of it, it sort of balances things out as wendys head no longer fits through the door after she got the best fish of the year so far, bloody women.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts