World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when out fishing on my boat i allways hit the fish over the head and put them in a bucket. when i got home i would gut them and clean them out.

someone said i should gut them on the boat as the insides attract bigger fish and it keeps them fresher, i know trawler fishermen gut them straight away and then freeze them.

how do you guys do it?

G

·
Gut them as soon as possible for a couple of reasons. The guts could help bring more fish into the area by acting as groundbait. Also many fish carry a parasitic worm in the gut that will transfer to the flesh of the fish once it is dead. Mackerel and Cod are most prone to this.

·
England Team Captain
30,607 Posts
We've always gutted on the way in or just before.
Feed the waste back to the gulls and fish that way and saves having to dispose of it at home.
I've seen many gutting in the harbour while waiting to go in but this often leaves rotting flesh etc on the tide line...not good.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
It varies from one species to another (but you can't go wrong gutting immediately, or at the first lull in the fishing)
In particular fish like Pouting and Cod can be tainted by their own stomach juices on a warm day.

Commercial fishermen are careful not to gut Bass - they get a higher price whole (though heaven knows why...except for appearance), but they do ice them immediately and may bleed them (by cutting the gill rakers) as well.

But it is often overruled by chance, for example once out of West Bay (Dorset) I caught some large Pouting and didn't look after them especially well .... must have been 90 minutes or 2 hours before I got round to gutting them , yet at home they tasted delicious, absolutely delicious .
So next time out I took a cool box with lots of cool packs and gutted washed and chilled (in cold seawater in the box) Pout, as I caught them ...... they tasted o.k. but nothing special.

As the yanks would say " go figure"

·
Registered
476 Posts
Always gutted while still out at sea. Beware of low flying seagulls though! Had one swoop over my shoulder and grab a mackeral right out of my hand while gutting it. Had to get the daughter to stand gaurd with the deck brush whilst I finished the rest. LOL.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Dont wing Rays where you are fishing,the bodies will get rid of other rays and that will be the end of your day.Better to do these on the way in.

Ron
Here here, Rays do not like grave yards. spread them thin on the ground as you steam home.

G

·
Dont wing Rays where you are fishing,the bodies will get rid of other rays and that will be the end of your day.Better to do these on the way in.

Ron
Here here, Rays do not like grave yards. spread them thin on the ground as you steam home.
I have to agree with these fellas,

Start gutting once your anchor is hauled, and your heading home

If it's calm enough, fillet the buggas too, returning you're by-catch back to whence it came, and stopping your dustbin smelling of rotten fish carcasses

hth

Ubd

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have to agree with these fellas,

Start gutting once your anchor is hauled, and your heading home

If it's calm enough, fillet the buggas too, returning you're by-catch back to whence it came, and stopping your dustbin smelling of rotten fish carcasses

hth

Ubd
you've got to catch some first:kissing: :kissing:

·
Registered
701 Posts
OK, contry to everything already said ( and I agree with them ) if you are going to freeze your fish, leave the guts in !! Reason 1, your more likely to get frost damage to the belly parts cos there thinner and unprotected, 2, when you defrost, the guts take longer than the fish, so if you gut them when halve defrosted they come out in one piece, no mess, third and last, if you give any away, youve not spent hours ( hopefully ) gutting, cleaning & filleting. It does not affect the taste ! I promise, not just my opinion, but from friends and neabours who benefit from any bounty I bring back.
This only applies if your not eating fresh, other wise gut them as soon as possible out at sea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts