World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
WSF Hardcore Angler
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my god this weather feels like it's been like this for ever.. certainly equaling out from the lovely summer we had isn't it!

when I packed away my gear in December because I thought my chance of a local cod had gone I was eagerly awaiting the end of January and early February when I could target Plaice from Brighton and Seaford, I had it all pretty much planned out in my head ... Plaice first, then a few miles on the clock for some rays moving on to some Bream and the odd Bass bash thrown in:fishing:

well here we are, approaching valentines day and I'm almost heartbroken... every time I click on XC and look at the winds forecast it's the same old picture.. 40,50,60mph gusts! ... I'm far from a fair weather fisherman, I've been plenty of times in terrible conditions but I've always felt that I was in with a chance of getting what I was after, more often than not I was wrong but still, I gave it a shot... the difference at the moment is, I think like a lot of people on here, I'm stuck in a rut.. with no enthusiasm to get out at all... I know there's been the odd report of bass and the guys fishing the river for flounders doing ok but the mojo just isn't there for me at the moment :sad:

reels are oiled, box is tidy and rig bits are stocked.. but when's this wind going to stop and I'm really intrigued as to what it will bring, how the fishing will be once we get more than a few days of settled weather.. after all, it's not just all the wind and constant low pressure band we've had its also been one of the mildest winters ever which will surely have an effect on the season ahead..

how do you think it will affect it? and have any of you got any experience of starting a season after such a mild winter with hardly any frosty nights?

I can't wait to be out and about, full of beans and with a bucket full of mojo and it'd also be good to see the forum full of reports as the ratio at the moment must be about 2 reports for every 15 threads on other stuff like this one (can't wait to post a decent catch report) for instance.. oh and the political threads that inevitably go down the same route and end the same way but that's another story and I'm not knowledgeable enough on the facts to get involved with, nor do I think I could handle the stress!

who's in the same boat as me? with the viscous circle going around in our tiny mind of chomping at the bit to get out but not for the lack of what's out at the moment? ... just realised as I'm writing this I feel almost schizophrenic

thanks for reading
all the best
Salty sulking bored needing a shrink and wanting my February Plaice fishing back!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Good read, ticks all the boxes :)

I for one considered selling my gear and start kite surfing .... certainly would fit the weather pattern

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Pffft easy there tommy, your not alone, ive actually made up a venue that isnt weather affected down behind my shed, and it is slugfree too, regretfully , as mrs mmad pointed out,"its a ****ing bucket full of rain water", butshes wrong you know, shes wrong.
Ive walked once along a few stretches of my bit of reef , it hasnt changed much at low, thankfully, everyone looks at the hightide line and thinks blimey.
but i think its going to be great this year , trusty old marks may well be snaggy as hell, and others , buried, its cettainly going to catch out anglers who cant adapt quickly, or read the seabed,the jetstream aint shifting, and everybody in civvie street is blind to the fact that this is here for a few weeks yet, the fact is, as you said, long hot summer, jetstream stubborn, doesnt shift and draw in highs , and cold air, so although very wet, we simply have a long hot winter as well, I mean temps like this are mad in jan, feb, who knows the overall effectmate, but I do know this, every single angler stepping out on the shingle this year thinking its their same old spot, is going to get a shock.
personally, im relishing the idea of , new features to cast too, a lot more , white chalk to put a lively bait on, and another long hot summer, just got to get through this horrific spell, I was nearly this guy last month 1609974_10201478067170446_1119005154_n.jpg

and dude, that f....... desperate

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks like we will be waiting until March now the warmer average waters we've been Having will either be a good thing or a tragic thing I hope it could mean more foreign species of fish coming over like bigger sharks and stuff like that one good thing though the bass will certainly never leave which is a bonus hopefully they can mop up all these muggy little wighting that infest our shores.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hi Tommy, in the same boat as you mate.
Gave it a go last Sunday but the sea was huge and barely fishable, I blanked but others managed the odd fish.
Was planning on a Brighton plaice session next week-end, but XC has ruled out Saturday and although Sunday is looking better how bad will the swell be?
Once we get some settled weather the nets will be out stretching from the marina to Hove, I think this years February plaice fishing bonanza won't get going until March :cc_surren

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I've been scratching the itch with river flounders,seems to be the norm now can't catch a cod and tings and slugs well not worth the effort

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Hi Tommy, in the same boat as you mate.
Gave it a go last Sunday but the sea was huge and barely fishable, I blanked but others managed the odd fish.
Was planning on a Brighton plaice session next week-end, but XC has ruled out Saturday and although Sunday is looking better how bad will the swell be?
Once we get some settled weather the nets will be out stretching from the marina to Hove, I think this years February plaice fishing bonanza won't get going until March :cc_surren
Tony, its far worse than that, hundreds of danglers will head out after the spotted ones, and I wont get the chance, ill be heading out knowing ill blank for weeks now, maybe even cutting into my ray time, getting to know stretches all over agsin, because if I dont, come the bass season, itll cost us fish, still you know the saying about march, in like a lion, out like a lamb, it may be april before this lot buggers off

·
WSF Hardcore Angler
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but i think its going to be great this year , trusty old marks may well be snaggy as hell, and others , buried, its cettainly going to catch out anglers who cant adapt quickly, or read the seabed,the jetstream aint shifting, and everybody in civvie street is blind to the fact that this is here for a few weeks yet, the fact is, as you said, long hot summer, jetstream stubborn, doesnt shift and draw in highs , and cold air, so although very wet, we simply have a long hot winter as well, I mean temps like this are mad in jan, feb, who knows the overall effectmate, but I do know this, every single angler stepping out on the shingle this year thinking its their same old spot, is going to get a shock.
personally, im relishing the idea of , new features to cast too, a lot more , white chalk to put a lively bait on, and another long hot summer, just got to get through this horrific spell, I was nearly this guy last month View attachment 194932

and dude, that f....... desperate

Looks like we will be waiting until March now the warmer average waters we've been Having will either be a good thing or a tragic thing I hope it could mean more foreign species of fish coming over like bigger sharks and stuff like that one good thing though the bass will certainly never leave which is a bonus hopefully they can mop up all these muggy little wighting that infest our shores.

I'm with you boys on this, I think this spring/summer could be great fishing and am relishing a change:fish::fish::fish:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Tell me about it i just lost my job. Got all the time in the world to fish for the next couple of weeks and I cant find the right opportunity to fish. Bring on the summer!
Dude, double whammy of crap for you then, hope you get something sorted, its tough out there

·
Registered
793 Posts
Another thing to do whille the weather is so bad .. something that won a big bag of brownie points...

I set my usual fishing sessions and make rigs and what not .. prepare gear wash reels etc.. so she is throwing the "casual" question < Are you going fishing > to witch i respond < yes xday evening im going but im not sure cause of tghe weather so if you want to make plans for us tell me before > ( CHA CHING !£$!$!$£!$£!$ 6 brownie points cashed )

Wednesday evening comes around and i look at the weather to see that the gusts went from 50 to 60 mph so i ask her if she's made any plans ... < Maybe we can get a bottle of wine and watch a movie > (CHA CHING !£$!$!$!£$!!$!£$ ) 12 brownie points.

Thursday afternoon im crying inside ... i really dont want to fish in that so i turn around and grab a bottle of wine with the bait money :(
< Honey .. i'm not going fishing today .. i'd rather stay with you tonight > (BONUS 47 brownie points !$$!$!"£$!£$!!$$!!!"£££$$ )

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I know it's been rough since December... But this is the bass condition ive waited for since 2006 when we had those blows and hope the summer will be like it is now outside.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I hope it turns into an early warm spring and things get going in March. BUT there's still time for a freezing cold spell to hammer the temperatures. There's no logic to our weather at the moment!

·
Registered
25,004 Posts
I know it's been rough since December... But this is the bass condition ive waited for since 2006 when we had those blows and hope the summer will be like it is now outside.
If its blowing like this through the summer then i will be selling my boat,all the rain weve been having has really effected my work,got jobs piled up for when we get a dry week.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Looking forward to exploring a few more safe spots on the island.....always a venue to fish even in the worst of the weather even if it's a pond. Bet a few more triggers turn up in the Solent this year....roll on summer 2014. Pete.

·
Registered
639 Posts
my god this weather feels like it's been like this for ever.. certainly equaling out from the lovely summer we had isn't it!

when I packed away my gear in December because I thought my chance of a local cod had gone I was eagerly awaiting the end of January and early February when I could target Plaice from Brighton and Seaford, I had it all pretty much planned out in my head ... Plaice first, then a few miles on the clock for some rays moving on to some Bream and the odd Bass bash thrown in:fishing:

well here we are, approaching valentines day and I'm almost heartbroken... every time I click on XC and look at the winds forecast it's the same old picture.. 40,50,60mph gusts! ... I'm far from a fair weather fisherman, I've been plenty of times in terrible conditions but I've always felt that I was in with a chance of getting what I was after, more often than not I was wrong but still, I gave it a shot... the difference at the moment is, I think like a lot of people on here, I'm stuck in a rut.. with no enthusiasm to get out at all... I know there's been the odd report of bass and the guys fishing the river for flounders doing ok but the mojo just isn't there for me at the moment :sad:

reels are oiled, box is tidy and rig bits are stocked.. but when's this wind going to stop and I'm really intrigued as to what it will bring, how the fishing will be once we get more than a few days of settled weather.. after all, it's not just all the wind and constant low pressure band we've had its also been one of the mildest winters ever which will surely have an effect on the season ahead..

how do you think it will affect it? and have any of you got any experience of starting a season after such a mild winter with hardly any frosty nights?

I can't wait to be out and about, full of beans and with a bucket full of mojo and it'd also be good to see the forum full of reports as the ratio at the moment must be about 2 reports for every 15 threads on other stuff like this one (can't wait to post a decent catch report) for instance.. oh and the political threads that inevitably go down the same route and end the same way but that's another story and I'm not knowledgeable enough on the facts to get involved with, nor do I think I could handle the stress!

who's in the same boat as me? with the viscous circle going around in our tiny mind of chomping at the bit to get out but not for the lack of what's out at the moment? ... just realised as I'm writing this I feel almost schizophrenic

thanks for reading
all the best
Salty sulking bored needing a shrink and wanting my February Plaice fishing back!
In a very similar boat mate :)

As a landlocked newbie it's hard enough to learn to fish a particular venue...let alone after the weather has redesigned much of the south coast. My handful of efforts over Xmas were a disaster because of the conditions (couldn't walk from the car to harbour wall at newhaven!) This time last year I was lying on Brighton beach in a t shirt getting a tan & catching plaice! Crazy...

I was pretty enthusiastic at first as I thought the rough seas whipping up the food and warm sea temps would keep the bass around and maybe some cod. Like you say, all I've read about recently are pin whiting. Well done for getting out there if youve braved it tho.

Having had enough just booked 3 days in Brighton from 17th (on my own!!!) to give it another go. Don't fancy my chances tbh...even bait collecting is gonna be hard!

:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts