World Sea Fishing Forums banner

where are all the wrecks

5K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  mikesands 
#1 ·
ive just bought a boat from a friend and it came with a gps. my question is how do you find wrecks and reefs with it, i don't mean how do you use the gps i mean is there a list of wreck positions written down somewhere.
thank
john
ps i live on anglesey

G
#6 ·
ok cheers
anyone out there got any good marks for me
Have you got next weeks lottery numbers for me:unsure:.
Seriously though, decent wreck marks are guarded like the crown jewels. Hopefully your mate will have left them in the GPS for you but if not then do a search online of any local dive clubs. They often have the coordinates of wrecks on them.

G
#9 ·
When you can afford it get yourself a cheap plotter with a recent electronic chart. Most wrecks are marked on them. It is then just a matter of circling the position until you find it then putting your own mark on the plotter.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I have a rather useful book called ' Dive Dorset'.

It's worth looking to see if there's one for your area.

#13 ·
What area are you fishing?

#15 ·
If you want to find some wrecks in your area, look at a few diving sites. They will give you GPS locations and some have photographs and descriptions of the wreck and fish that are around it. I have found them a usefull tool. Just google "dive wrecks (area)" and see what you get!

#17 ·
You could try here http://www.admiraltyleisure.co.uk/diveSite.asp
I understand it's about £5 a wreck, but I guess they couldn't stop a bunch of us clubbling together and sharing the data - wouldn't do to resell it though tut tut.
I've also just managed to pick a few off http://users.pandora.be/tree/wreck/wreck-database/chart.html?chartId=3 there ain't many on their database around my neck of the woods but you could be luckier if more mariners weren't.
THANX FOR THE LINK IT HAS THE POSITION OF ONE OF THE WRECKS IN MILLFORD HAVEN IV BEEN TRYING TO GET INFO ON FOR A WHILE, CHEERS MATE AND A NUMBER OF WRECKS AROUND IT CANT WAIT TO GIVE IT A GO.
:clap3::boat:

#21 ·
Thought y'all might be interested in what UKHO quoted me.
They can search their database by almost any parameter you could wish for. I asked for all wrecks over 250 tons up to 6 miles off the coast between Skinningrove and Seaham. They found 37 and wanted £150 to give me all the details. I said it was too much and they said most people tell them what their budget is and they adjust the parameters to suit. When she searched just on wrecks over 1400 tons standing between 5m and 18m above the sea bed she got it down to 10 - which she wanted to charge me £40 for. Sounds a lot, but when I think about it, it's probably onl.y the cost of bait for 2 trips. I haven't said yes, because I suspect that most of the 10 are in the list I have got off one of the diving sites

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.