World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Where are the mackerel ?

833 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Hunter's Moon 
#1 ·
I know its a bit late in the season for this but I have read so many threads on different forums concerning the lack of mackerel this season.
I thought I would start a thread where people from different regions could post the areas that mackerel are CURRENTLY being caught or areas that they have tried and failed to catch. Im not asking for particular marks if you dont want to give them up but most mackerel venues are well known.

If the thread is successful and people reply it may save some wasted trips to unproductive marks.

In North Clare at the moment catches of mackerel are patchy and strong winds are holding them off shore. Even one day of good weather brings them within average casting distance. Fish seem to be fewer but larger this week. Most productive marks include The Flats at Ballyvaughan, Blackhead and Ballyreen. All these marks suffer the normal problems associated with mackerelbashers, litter, bad parking and bad fishing practice.

#3 ·
yer, had to stop two weeks back becos we would of had no1 to give them too and that was with our freezer full.

#6 ·
Heading to my favourite mackie spot next weekend and will update this thread after that but had plenty off the boat around Bute two weekends ago.

#9 ·
Go to the nearest area of saltwater, following the empty cider cans as you go. You will eventually come to a large huddle of chavs. Stay downwind and don't alarm them as the herd instinct will take over and they'll stampede you en masse. They're easy to identify - there won't be a t-shirt between them, their skin is usually bright red, and it'll be as though a Burberry bomb has gone off. Somewhere under all this, I assure you, there will be a pier, and on that pier you will find an array of wheelie bins, bin liners and mop buckets. Look in there and you should find some mackerel!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.