World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening,

I was wondering if anyone could help me find some live sand eels to buy, ideally around Portsmouth/Southampton but beggars can't be choosers!.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

·
Registered
20,889 Posts
Evening,

I was wondering if anyone could help me find some live sand eels to buy, ideally around Portsmouth/Southampton but beggars can't be choosers!.

Thanks for your help.

Rob
:clap3:Allan's Marine Portsmouth used to do them, not sure about this year though. 02392 671833, or 07967 884878 Sussex.

·
Registered
405 Posts
:clap3:Allan's Marine Portsmouth used to do them, not sure about this year though. 02392 671833, or 07967 884878 Sussex.
No, they stopped doing them (last time I looked they still have the sign up though) as the supply was "unreliable"

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like a pretty strong message for any commercial skipper around the solent area reading this who fancies a little sideline!.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Out of interest, can they be caught in the Solent? I've never heard of it, but thats not to say they can't be caught.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The commercial bass men trawl them in Langstone Harbour, they also feature in Whitecliff and Sandown Bays.

I have trawled them in the past but it is hard work and more importantly very time consuming. You then have the problem of keeping them alive as they need well oxygenated water.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Give these people a call down in pevensey bay, 07967884878. They sell for 40p an eel but they don't ship so youl need to collect yourself.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hmm, what are people going to use live eels for - bass. Go out with deadbaits or lures and catch 5 bass, or go out with live eels and catch 50? Commercially it's a no-brainer, when eels are scarce here the commercials will sell them to each other at £1 each, but when each eel will catch a £15+ bass it's worth it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Crikey, 40p an eel?!
If only you were in Devon... £5 a scoop from Wrigglers baits in Teignmouth... I froze my leftover sandeel from the last trip. I counted 130, and that's excluding the ones I used!

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
The shop on the road into Portland has just started advertising them for sale, 4 for £1 which doesn't seem too bad?

I usually get the sabikis out and feather up a few launce, the bass seem to like them well enough!

·
Registered
11,405 Posts
I used to get my live sand eels from Allans Marine, but as already said they haven't done them for a while, but I've been told that Pete at Solent Tackle is doing them, so it might worth a phone call.

Steveh24

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Crikey, 40p an eel?!
If only you were in Devon... £5 a scoop from Wrigglers baits in Teignmouth... I froze my leftover sandeel from the last trip. I counted 130, and that's excluding the ones I used!
I had some from there a few years back and yes they were £5 for a scoop! I saw a van come to collect live eel. It had a water tank complete with circulation system. I think he said he had a shop and even with the inevitable dying eels, must still have been worthwhile as he drove somewhere to the south coast where he had a shop!

I wonder if the OP managed to get some though seeing as this thread is now 5 years old lol.

Regards

Harry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts