World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the most disappointing day's fishing in my boat this year yesterday. Went out 2 hours before high water with two of my mates in their own boats, and we all fished within quarter of a mile of each other about 2 to 3 miles off shore. We fished until 2 hours after high water, and the three boats had 3 fish between us !

We pulled alongside each other a couple of times to compare notes, and we were using a whole variety of bait and tactics: atificial lures from shads to jelly worms, shrimpbait, frozen baits from sandeels to squid, the one mackerel which was caught was sacrificed for bait but brought nothing. One boat tried uptiding, one tried trolling a red gill for a while, I just drifted a ledger rig for my single pollack in 4 hours fishing. Really disappointing.

The two charter boats working out of my port were about a mile away from us, and one of them called me on the radio to see how we were doing. I told him, and he said that with six rods on the boat he had just 3 mackerel on his 2 hour trip!!

Anyone with better news than this from the South West?

Cheers

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Peter - glad that you posted this - We thought that it was just us - we have been fishing every weekend out of Falmouth since March and have had some cracking Fish - UNTIL the last month or so. Nice weather nice Tans few fish - we have never blanked but all the fish are slow coming and hard worked for. Yesterday was fractionally better we had six species but only one of each. Even the Mackeral are slow in showing. We had had the odd one or two Donkeys from off the bottom but no shoaled fish. Whats going on?? Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Come to sunny Dartmouth. Went out yesterday (Sunday) and fished Mudstone ledge. Caught wrasse, balin wrasse, pollock, bass, red gurnard and pleanty of mackeral including several 4 at a time! Whilst none of them would break records we had a steady flow of catches. All returned except for a few mackeral for bait.

We fish out of Dartmouth on my 22' Thames Fisher.

Good hunting, Mike

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi csx355,

Had a quiet word with the charter skippers. They're struggling on their 2 hour trips when they stay in fairly close, but are picking up good double figure fish on their five and eight hour trips when they go off further - up to 8 miles. The answer seems to be to get out into the colder deeper water. So that's me next time - heading south for an hour - I'll post the result here!!

Cheers

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have been meaning to launch from Penzance and get down that way - Have also heard that the fishing is better. Just been a bit lazy as I don't have to think about the tides at Falmouth.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, went out again yesterday and went further out than I normally do - just over 4 miles instead of my usual 2½ to 3.

The fishing was definately better. Pollack in the main, only to 4lb but nice to get them ont he boat after a pretty dull couple of weeks' fishing further in. There were a couple of whiting and a few mackerel as well. The best bait was one of the new salt injected goggle eyes. I just let it drop to the bottom, (130ft) on the drift, and then retrieve it by 3 or 4 rod lengths then let it drop back again. All bar one of the pollack took it on the retrieve with just one taking it on the drop.

So maybe the answer is to get a bit further out at the moment. OK I suppose as long as the weather is settled.

Anyway, this just an update on the previous post. Hope it's of inetest to someone...........

Cheers

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Peter - good news that you found some fishing - we will be out of Falmouth this Sunday and will try and find some broken Ground in deep water - a friend of mine who has a big fast Mitchell is finding the same thing - fish in deep water little or nothing in the shallow ground. I will keep you posted on this thread as to how we do. Steve

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Steve,

I envy you your fishing ground - and the boat !!!!

I have a marine chart on my computer of the South West coast and I see that within a 4 mile radius of St Anthony Light there are no fewer that 12 wrecks!!! and all in deep water - up to 47 metres. WOW - you should have a fabulous time out there on Sunday, which I see from the weather forecast is set to be a great day weather-wise. I have a Christening to go to, so my boat stays on its moorings on Sunday I'm afraid.

With a boat like that your friend probably has the same chart as me on a GPS chart plotter, but I'll happily e-mail you the LATs and LONGs of the wrecks if he hasn't. I just wish I could get round there, but taking a 30 year old wooden boat, top speed 6 knots with a following wind and tide, round the Lizard point is just not on, so I'm stuck with shallow old Mount's Bay.

Have a great day on Sunday, and I'm sure we all look forward to your report...........

Cheers, and tight lines

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Peter - headed out towards the Manacles today bit too choppy to be comfortable so had a bash around the mouth of the Helford. Nothing. Decided to fish up the Fal and anchored on a wreck in the river approx 90' - Couple of small dogs a pouting and a scad. Things were not looking up. Charmaine suggested going further up the river towards Turnaware bar. Found ouselves a little hole and Bang a 10lb and a 12 lb Huss, something hooked up and lost and a flurry of other bites and missed bits and pieces. All this in our last hour or so on an ebb tide. Will have a look again as we found a VERY deep gulley that just has to be good fish holding ground - I will try and get some pics up as soon as I can. Steve

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just to save you from getting too downhearted, went on the 'Blue Fox' out of Padstow last Wednesday (10th), fished a reef opposite Trevose Head, and then steamed to a wreck about 5 mile further out. Both produced good pollack, to about 10/12 lbs. finished day with 4 boxes of fish between eight of us (although two days earlier, the same boat finished with 14 (yes-1 4) boxes). All these were caught on various coloured jelly worms.
Only 1 bass and one ling amongst that.
David

·
Registered
313 Posts
!4 boxes of fish nice to see so many fish being taken from the ocean> After all it is an indespensible resorce aint it ????? :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi David - good point - well made but I should point out that all fish on the North Coast suffer from the well documented 'Rick Stein' syndrome. This is an incurable plague that make all fish think that they will end up on telly. The closer to Padstow - the more suicidal the fish. - Sorry ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi age,

Have to say that as one who fishes for food, and not for fun I am completely and totally with you. That's what I do, fish for the pot, and I shoot for the pot too. When I'm out at sea in my boat and have caught all I can deal with at home in the freezer I quit fishing and come back to port.

I have serious reservations about shed loads of fish coming in on charter boats, which I see all the time, and hate to see these fish being paraded round the harbour laced together with string knowing full well that they will end up being dumped in the dustbins of the holiday lets. 14 boxes of fish for fun is not right, can never be right. In fact it's disgusting.

I am passionate about this and if anyone's brave enough to start a new thread on this subject best of luck to them but I'll just leave it here........

Cheers, age, kindred spirit...............

·
Registered
164 Posts
I suppose if you are ever going to pin your colours to the wall now is as good a time as any - I fish for sport - I take all the mackeral that I catch but always stop at two dozen - The last half a dozen are usually taken on my fly rod. These are either home smoked (fantastic) cooked fresh or a couple kept back for bait - Just as well recently getting back on topic!!! Everything else goes back Bass - Ray - Conger - If and only if I caught a dozen decent Bass in a session I might keep one - hasn't happened yet. Would welcome the chance to test my resolve.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I should add that we have not had any deep water 'blown' fish yet as we mainly fish inshore reefs and wrecks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Point taken, although none is 'Dumped', as all fish not taken by the people chartering the boat is sold through the auction on the harbour- and this is a lot less than is taken by one sweep of any trawlers nets!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
i only started fishing seriously so eat what i catch, and i do not think i would be as interested in fishing if i did not do that. i actually feel some guilt when i catch something i have to let go as i have just stuck a hook in it's gob for nothing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts