World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been fishing out of Barmouth and can never find more than the odd single macky. Is it just me? Does anybody know of a reason there's less about? It seems really odd out there to me!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
same along the north wales coast and reckon its mostly down to the crappy weather with lots of west-north west wind breaking up the shoals and sending them further out.We need a long settled spell of weather but it all seems the same as last years poor summer and poor fishing(for mackies) except in places that are sheltered and have nice clear water.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Fished near beaumaris yesterday at one of the village ( cant remember what its name is). 2 off us got 33 mackies, biggish ones too fishing from 12 till 8 pm. Used one of the fladden small fluorescent feathers. could have got more if not for the 2 seals there all day.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Fished near beaumaris yesterday at one of the village ( cant remember what its name is). 2 off us got 33 mackies, biggish ones too fishing from 12 till 8 pm. Used one of the fladden small fluorescent feathers. could have got more if not for the 2 seals there all day.
sounds like white beach about 10 mins drive past beaumaris .was it at the end of a dead end lane and then a walk above some cliffs and a steep path down to a rock mark? have heard theres been lots of mackies there as usual,as well as the local seals which like to take their share from your hooks...

·
Registered
467 Posts
sounds like white beach about 10 mins drive past beaumaris .was it at the end of a dead end lane and then a walk above some cliffs and a steep path down to a rock mark? have heard theres been lots of mackies there as usual,as well as the local seals which like to take their share from your hooks...
Its the steep path down to the rock mark. - you right. So its called white beach , i tried to find the name of the places for ages. My mate just know how to get there.

rains

·
Registered
76 Posts
went on a 2 hour trip in cardigan bay on thursday, the skipper said it had been worse than ever over the last few weeks after a good start to the summer. We were luckier, i think each trip caught about 30 to 50 fish between 10 rods that day He reckoned the macky had moved about 9 miles out with the bad weather.

·
Registered
19 Posts
According to local fishermen, the mackerel were recently dispersed and forced from shore around Cardigan Bay by a shoal of porpoise.

Been fishing out of Barmouth and can never find more than the odd single macky. Is it just me? Does anybody know of a reason there's less about? It seems really odd out there to me!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Sounds unlikely to me - there are always lots of porpoise about every year. The rough weather is far more likely to be the culprit. If you have winds over force 5 for ages as we have had over July the shoals always become broken up. Fingers crossed that an Indian summer will happen - if it does they'll move back inshore in large numbers.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Got quite a few last Thursday on Sarn-y-bwch reef.
The fresh weed all over the local beaches seems to show that seas are
STILL not settling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts