World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am showing my age now, But I have just bought a caravan and planning going to Allonby next week. I am from Wigton originally and spent many hours fishing as a kid at Silloth docks. Was wondering where you suggest I fish... Silloth, Allonby, Maryport or Whitehaven, what I can expect to catch and what bait to use.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
if you just want to catch fish whitehaven loads of small dabs about with weevers some plaice and mackies good fun on float gear lug and rag on the bottom and mackie stip on the float you will get bites all day long

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I am showing my age now, But I have just bought a caravan and planning going to Allonby next week. I am from Wigton originally and spent many hours fishing as a kid at Silloth docks. Was wondering where you suggest I fish... Silloth, Allonby, Maryport or Whitehaven, what I can expect to catch and what bait to use.
Cheers
Try this LINK

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I agree Whitehaven's the best bet in terms of piers, but depends when you want to fish. Was down last Sunday and there must have been close to 100 rods out between the two piers, so mid week would be better.

I quite like Port carlisle for Flounders, nice and peaceful. Haven't been there for a bit though so don't know what fishing is like at the moment

·
Registered
531 Posts
Get your self on beckfoot on these big tide's, all you need is blow lug and rag. You can fish 2half or 3hour's up 1 down, as you go into beckfoot the first house on your right slow down and you will see a 40mph sign on your left. Turn in and you will find a small car park, the beach is right at your feet and the bass are there. Last week i had a small bass but they were all over the place, the tide was to low last week but this week it will be nice and deep the bass will come in 15 feet out, rig's 1up+1down hook's size 1/0, good luck.:ph34r:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas, I will be up for a few days so I'll try both Whitehaven and Beckfoot. Are they anywhere to buy bait up there or do i need to bring my gardening tools?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Either Bobby Graham's in Workington or Cumbrian Angling Centre in Whitehaven, both tend to have fresh rag and plenty of frozen bait. Graham's usually gets rag delivered on a Thursday so if you go on a Tuesday / Wednesday there might not be much left.

Otherwise try digging on a big tide at Grasslot beach at Maryport, park by the big pier and head out to the big scar, you'll usually see people digging there, get decent lug.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If your fishing Beckfoot you can dig blow lug on the beach it's not to deep but fish on the right side of the house the sand is not as soft.:fishing1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts