World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello dorset anglers
im poping down to portland tonight, and shall be bringing the rods, im there all day tomorrow and will be off out fishing. The question is where to go?
i dont mind a short drive from portland(20 mins tops) but would want to try for something worth catching. it will be a daylight sesh, so what should i target down there, do i stand a chance of any rays if so where? are the plaice still around? any other sugestions appricated , i will be looking in to the forum before heading out tomorrow, so answers on a postcard please.
pm me if you prefer
many thanks

·
Registered
651 Posts
Keep away from Bexi as the Spider crabs are there in force........ day and night :giveup:

:idea: Ferry bridge end is clear of crabs at the moment

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
try ferrybridge mate. theres a chance of the odd smoothie or 2.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Fished Abbotsbury Sunday.........beautiful day got a nice tan......shoulder to shoulder with the mack brigade(good luck to em)..never had a touch in
4hrs.
Fished in front of the cottages a well known area for Flatties,tried rag/lug
mack/squid/raw prawn............nada
2 rods at varying distances stayed motionless.....never mind.....ill be back.
Hope you find a suitable mark to try...!!!!

Gaz :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Fished Abbotsbury Sunday.........beautiful day got a nice tan......shoulder to shoulder with the mack brigade(good luck to em)..never had a touch in
4hrs.
Fished in front of the cottages a well known area for Flatties,tried rag/lug
mack/squid/raw prawn............nada
2 rods at varying distances stayed motionless.....never mind.....ill be back.
Hope you find a suitable mark to try...!!!!

We fished just east of the cottage's friday midday till sunday am nothinh other than mackies during the day and dogs and pout at night, Superb weather tho

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I remember seeing you,about 6 fellers together with tents and enough
tackle for a month....!!!!!
if it was you....sorry i didnt say "Hi", i set up next to you about 10am
shoulda asked what you,d caught,id of buggered of elsewhere..!!!!
But when its so hot and "Bizzy" its hard to know what mark to try.
When you guys left.....another 20 took your place.....feathers galore.
Ill look out for the "Pompy"horde another time ...:thumbdown ...hehe

Take care

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys
hmmmm seems like its going to be a slow day then. ferry bridge seems my best option then. ill go and have a chat in dennings and see if they can help make my mind up,
will let you know how i get on.
thanks

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Slayer,

Make sure you have your passport and a visa, the Dorset guys are a bit peculiar like that!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys
i went down dennings and they said my best bet would e at bexi. what with what i have been reading lately and with the spiders in in force i thought sod that, so opted for a spinning sesh around portland . I knew the tide time but did not look at the height, tipical the smallist tide of the month i later found out, I span for 2 1/2 hours but not a touch. In all honesty i think i was a little early to try spinning for bass, and on that small a tide as well.
Still it was good to get out for a while in the sun and fresh air. just a shame the fish wernt playing ball.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys
i went down dennings and they said my best bet would e at bexi. what with what i have been reading lately and with the spiders in in force i thought sod that, so opted for a spinning sesh around portland . I knew the tide time but did not look at the height, tipical the smallist tide of the month i later found out, I span for 2 1/2 hours but not a touch. In all honesty i think i was a little early to try spinning for bass, and on that small a tide as well.
Still it was good to get out for a while in the sun and fresh air. just a shame the fish wernt playing ball.
Funny That - I spent two and a half hours spinning with a very light set up off Portland yesterday aswell. I used a Mustad Spin Eel for the first time and Managed Two pollack and two Bass, all were returned. Funnily all four Fish were almost exactly 1.5 Pound.

·
Registered
317 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts