World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going up to Loch Goil, near Lochgoilhead, looking to find out what are the best marks and baits for the area,

Cheer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Kevin welcome to the site, sorry I cant answer your question as I have never fished loch Goil, allthough years ago we did catch a 17lb Cod in one of the rock pools at low water....( was on an outward bound project with the school) too many years ago to remeber :D

I am sure someone will be able to help you

all the best

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi if you are fishing on a boat straight across from carrick castle on the other side close to the shore you can catch some good pollack,small codling and some wrasse

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just back from lochgoilhead, magic trip, plenty fish, around carrick caslte, flounder, cod, pollock, and a few wild brown trout in the loch up in the hill. A well enjoyed trip.

·
Registered
52 Posts
kevinrussell8 said:
Going up to Loch Goil, near Lochgoilhead, looking to find out what are the best marks and baits for the area,

Cheer :rolleyes:
It depends on how fit you are as the best marks are on the far side of the lochso for the best fishing it is a bit of a hike unless you know a friendly boat man to take you over. for the road side there are afew marks but I mast stress that at the moment the fishing is poor a few mackeral an odd flattie small saith and if you are lucky a doggie. the pier at carrick was a favourate but thats now closed and fenced off but as you enter carrick there are two main marks you can't miss them for the litter and mess left by oters fishing there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all - been a while since I been on here as work has overtaken my life - however for my 30th this year I'm going on a road trip to scotland and am staying in a B&B on the shore of Loch Goil about a mile or two from Carrick Castle and I figure it won't be a proper holiday unless I do some fishing whilst I'm there.

To this end I am looking for some advice on Fishing AND Boating on the Loch.

I should say my trip is going to be the 3rd weekend in July, boat hire is an option but my friend has a small RIB that we could take.

1st question is what sort of conditions should I expect in this area of the loch, is there a strong tidal pull, is it normally very choppy etc - the RIB we are planning to take has no outboard so we would be rowing on the loch - providing this would be safe.

2nd question is what fish would I expect to target in this area - one of the local sites suggests that mackerel, cod, pollack and possibly even a salmon could be caught.

3rd question is what is the best tactic for fishing in the loch, personally I prefer bait fishing wether with a bottom rig or a float (what depth should float be set) but I will fish with spinners and lures if I have to.

4th question concerns bait itself, what would be the best bait to use in the loch also are there any banned baits? e.g. here in poole parts of the harbour sand eels are banned for conservation reasons as they are bass spawning areas, I heard that shrimp/prawn are banned in parts of scotland for similar reasons with salmon

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
688 Posts
1 - The loch is pretty sheltered so you should be fine rowing, although there's a fair tide in it so you'll drift quite a bit unless you can tie up on a buoy or something.

2 - Plenty of mackies in the summer. Also codling, pollack, some flatties around the castle coast and south of there.

3 - Feathers/hokkais will get you the mackerel and pollack. Baited they will pick up the small cod etc. Fish mackerel bits on the bottom for them too with boat rigs.

4 - Only ever used mackerel bait so can't comment.

It's a nice loch to fish from a boat as it's sheltered and quiet - very peaceful and nice scenery. Just don't expect any whoppers. Fish small. The deepest part at the MOD raft near the top apparently has some decent-sized fish on the bottom (70+ metres down) but I've not really tried that bit much. I've mostly fished down near the entrance to the loch between the big red and green buoys. There's a sandy point on the west coast below the castle that's private beach, I think, but had loads of wee fish on the boat just off that.

Oh, and there's plenty of doggies too. :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi, i fished the loch from the boat last summer, we hired from lochgoil cruisers. We fished where the loch meets loch long quite close to the light house. We were catching plenty of small cod and mackerel. The cod were taking baited hokkais and mackerel were taking anything that hit the water. Hope you have fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cheers for info - one of the boat hire sites mentioned the possibility of bagging a salmon in the loch - this may be just a sales ploy but if it is possible, any ideas hwere/how I should go about it, bearing in mind I will only be fishing in the loch where it is free :p

also regarding the tide, when the tide is in full flood/ebb would I be able to row against the current or would I be better trying to find a small outboard to fit.

lastly,

There's a sandy point on the west coast below the castle that's private beach, I think, but had loads of wee fish on the boat just off that.
don't know for sure but this could possibly be near where I am staying.

am staying in a B&B about 1.5miles from carrick castle (might be other side of castle to the part you mentioned - is north of castle) but B&B is one of 5 houses the other 4 of which are holiday homes, and my friends and I have booked BOTH rooms the B&B offer :) 85 quid per night to cover 3 people over 2 rooms in the height of summer = BARGAIN!!!

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
688 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts