World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mate of mine fancies fishing Laugharne and I was wondering whether any of you out there had any information on where to fish, what baits/tactics and what state of the tide is best.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
A mate of mine fancies fishing Laugharne and I was wondering whether any of you out there had any information on where to fish, what baits/tactics and what state of the tide is best.

hi mate i fished laughrne in a club match about 2weeks ago not a bite no one had any fish but it might have changed now you should get flounder bass eels and mullet. You can fish either up the top end by the pill on the corner or just off the main pathway small tides r best 5.5-5.9. you can only fish there 3 hours after low beacuse there is a big bar that prevents the water from coming in at that time but get there 2hrs after low to get a spot once it starts coming in is when you get most of the fish you may need grips leads because the flow can be very strong sometimes. best baits are rag maddies and crab. rigs i wud use 2up 1dwns with size 1 hooks for the flatties for the bass a running ledger with 2/0 hooks and crab for bait. mullet use maddies or bread on a light rod with small ish hooks and let it trot down with the tide. let us know how you get on if you go

hope this helps
cod king

·
Registered
937 Posts
HiMate,

Park up as near as you can to the Dylan Thomas Boat-house. Walk past the blue shed and on down the path making your way to the shore by the river. Fish it on the rising tide, literally as low as 2 ft of water! You should definately catch...and some big ones! Two hook rigs, small hooks with beads etc., Rag, Crab, Fish baits. Cast about 50 yds into the main flow cos they follow the rising tide in. I`ve caught plenty of big flounders there. You don`t need heavy gear.
Tight lines,
Rich

·
Registered
593 Posts
By far tha best place in laurghne is below Ants Hill caravan park. A fair walk up the estuary from the main car park tho! You need to walk around the top corner and cross the gully. As soon as the tide starts making, around 2 - 21/2 hrs before top, start fishing. The best fishing doesn't start until 3 1/2 - 4 hrs after top water, virtually only fresh water flowing. Cast over the river onto the far bank, and drag the bait back around 2 - 4 feet into the water to minimise disturbance! Best times for fishing tho are from late September until late December, the lower the tide the better. Wind must be blowing up the estuary. Had loads of flounders around the 2 - 2 1/2 lb mark up here, also many good bass to around the 5 lb mark. Reason I am telling you my favourite place - I now only really fish off my boat. Have some good trips down there and let us know how you get off!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
loads of mullet up there at times.we have fished it on evenings when there must have been millions of mullet and they were even hitting out flatty rigs every cast. my mate has also had a 7lb bass on baited hokkais there in a match(dont ask what he was doing with them in an estuary), i have also seen another 7.5lb caught in a penn match when we were fishing up there once.good luck
maddies and crab are the best bait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts