World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

dont frequent the east coast pages often but a small group of us are coming up to stay at kessingland next week and just wanted some info on were to go and what to expect.

Basically bait is not a problem, i can get crab (fresh) lug, whites, rag and all the frozen stuff, we are all competent fishermen and dont mind sacrificing abit of gear or going on a bit of a trek to find the fish also a bit of a drive isnt a problem, so if any one can give us some guidence on venues, species, times and tides to fish on etc it would be greatly apreciated.
If any one would rather pm me:secret: then please feel free.

Cheers:) Richie

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you take the road down to Kessingland beach and go past the Denes holiday park along the gravel road and find some where to park go onto the beach and walk south to the pump house and sluice and fish near here for codling whiting and there could be some early bass showing.
You could try down the coast beside Southwold harbour a short cast here in line with the timber structure at the end of the harbour have produced bass up to 9lb but it might be a bit early in the year for the big ones to show as yet but there have been a few schoolies caught.
best of luck for your week of fishing.(fat flounder)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Richie,

Good luck to you coming up this way, it's a bit pants at the moment in most places to be honest. However, as Fat Flounder mentioned just south of the sluice in Kessy itself is always worth a shot, prob my favorite place around this way. Best bet either crab or lug belted out a good distance, although early bass may be in close. Pretty clear and you'll probably not lose any gear.

I'd also agree on Southwold, but end of April should be a few bass showing, and they go MUCH bigger than 9lb round that way (know of a confirmed 16lber a couple of years back in the river). Also clear, I normally fish just north of the river mouth and don't remember losing any gear.

I would seriously consider a wander down to Orford and have a session on the island there, deep water and the most likely area to catch around here at the moment. Either get the boat across (PM Pete aka 'Regardless') and fish the island or park at Aldeburgh (after queuing 5hrs for the best fish and chips you'll get) and walk for about 40mins to the ariels. No need to cast more than 40-50m most of the time at either place. You could catch just about anything, but at the moment it's still mainly codling and whiting.

Good luck while you're up here, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the info guys, i have fished southwold before but that was a bit later on in the year and there were plenty of sole about. Be nice to catch a few codling and whiting as they are just about the only fish here on the isle of wight that are pretty scarce.

Keep the ideas coming, we got 4 days to waste and it would be nice to do some different venues:)

Cheers Richie

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Here's my tenpenneth Richie. Btw the IofW is such a great place to live and fish. We stayed at Bembridge last summer, enjoyed it a lot.
So you are here from Monday? Humm. It has been pretty shi*e all along. But it can change and all of a sudden and " hey presto". Your best bet for at few fish is Orford Ness, especially if you can bring some peeler up. The forecast is half a puff southerlies. My top beaches this time of year would be Dunwich, Beneacre, Covehithe, Walberswick and the river at Gorleston, not in any order. All these places fish well at different times, if you can be bothered fish at night it will help your chances. PM me if you need details.
Dabslayer is a local expert and he will have a view no doubt.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I forgot to mention Southwold and Walberwick by the river. It's a bit early for a lunker bass but they are caught there consistently year on year from mid April. Fish the Southwold side on the Ebb and the Wobbywick side on the Flood. Shaver's fish went 13lb, we were the southeyside on the ebb.Have I got that the rioght way about or no?? :) :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the info, thats great, will be doing most of our fishing at night i should imagine. I fancy a trip to orford, been some good catch reports recently.

Isle of wight is fishing very well at the moment with the shore caught undulate ray (17lb 11oz) and blonde ray (18lb 11oz) records falling in the past month and alot of decent small eyed and spotteds being caught also.

Just be nice to fish some new venues, as you said it can change all of a sudden so fingers crossed it does for us

·
Registered
948 Posts
RichieAWT, its that time of year at the moment on the east coast where its all or nothing. I couldn,t in all honesty pick one spot which will be more productive. Theres been a few odd codling and whiting and small bass from the river at Gorleston, Corton and Lowestoft beach. But if I had to pick a first choice spot it would have to be Orford.
Hope this helps
Dabslayer

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers dabslayer, i defo think a trip to orford is on the cards.

Whats the situation with traveling out on the boat, will the chap only run at cetain times?

Also what is likely to be the top bait as i will bring as much as possible of it, already got 80-100 crab should have a good few hundred lug and rag, anything else worth bringing?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Richie,

Not too sure on what times Pete runs across, think it depends on the number of people he has going across, best bet would be to give him a buzz on either 07900230579 or 01394450169.

Bait wise crab would be my number one choice at the moment, but lug will always catch this way with rag being worth a long shot at some early sole as a few have been showing. I'd leave it at that unless you can get some razors (big razor beds off Kessy but never uncovered even on lowest tides) for a bit of a change.

All the best, as has been said already it's very hit and miss up here at the moment so good luck!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers again guys

Im started to get excited at the thought of orford now, will have to give dave a call and sort out getting there:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts