World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in Saltcoats and fed up with only catching Macks behind ardrossan harbour wall, plus there are too many wee neds more interested in crossing everyones line, trying to stab anything that moves and generally being a total pain in the ass. Camped out at LochGoilhead Friday night and caught plenty mackerel, dogfish and a few flatties were caught, plenty sea trout jumping but could not get them to bite! Can anyone suggest some marks around about Ayrshire that offers any kind of fishing where I might catch something other than mackerel? I would happily catch dog fish all day just to get out and fish for a while, not sure where to go though! Thanks for any advice (.)(.)

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
you could try hunterston as that chucks up dogs and few other species there are a few bits you could fish but if you go right along to the end you will come to huge boulders alot choose to fish here as its simple for the car if you drive,you can also try ardrossan harbour for conger.
best bet would be to pop into splash tackle in saltcoats and talk to alex or ron,alex posts on here as BIGSPLASHSFT.
there is the likes of largs which is worth a bash at low water for dogs or there is the ballast bank in troon which has wrasse and few other species,there is also seamill which a few off her fish at times.

welcome to the forum

click on the AA in my sig it may be helpfull

·
Registered
580 Posts
Largs shingle at low tide is meant to be ok for doggies,and mackies!

Hunterston has stretches where you can catch doggies,mackies,and Im told bass,and conger also,although my 1st try there last week resulted in only 1 doggy.

Behind deamill hotel is meant to be ok for bass and flatties.

Red rocks at wemyss bay are meant to produce wrasse,mackies,and Ive heard of pollack also.

Millport,Ive caught wrasse,doggies,and mackies,also can produce pollack,conger(I'm told),and bass.

Someone else mentioned behind the slaughterhouse at saltcoats.

I usually try further afield though as I prefer quieter spots,ie loch fyne!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thanks for advice, going to try get out this weekend again. What about etive? heard loads of folk talking about it does it fish well?

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
2,629 Posts
i understand Ardrossan Harbour is now or is in the process of closing off to all anglers. thanks for this goes to the bucky drinking neds, the litterbugs and the people who dont give a flying feck about others. i've fished ardrossan harbour regular for eels and wrasse for years and years and now my local eel mark is being locked up up thanks to a minority that only come out in the nice weather with there 12 pack of cider and a bottle of wine. cheers for this!

rant over

try newton shore in ayr for flatties, troon ballast bank for wrasse and others also saltcoats harbour during a stormy winter evening can throw up some nice codling!

welcome to the forum bud

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
624 Posts
thats all we need, a was planning a conger session there tonight

welcome to the forum

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
2,629 Posts
thats all we need, a was planning a conger session there tonight

welcome to the forum
theres always been No Fishing signs at Ardrossan Harbour mate but the guys always just allowed us to get on with some fishing but i think the fair weather buckie crew have ruined it for all and the Police will be call now for anyone caught fishing. Apparently the gates next to the terminal will be locked so you cant get your car down anymore.

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
624 Posts
well that was very nice of them, a had only been twice. now a need to think of somewhere else.

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
2,629 Posts
well that was very nice of them, a had only been twice. now a need to think of somewhere else.
i was contemplating going out the night for a while as well bud but cant be assed going far. i had a fair few flatties from newton shore last week. nout big but plenty of them!

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
624 Posts
am defo going out but now looks like greenock

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
cool thanks for advice, going to try get out this weekend again. What about etive? heard loads of folk talking about it does it fish well?
it can fish well at times and you always have the possibility of rays and spurrys,there is also loch fyne which has some good marks on it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The harbour security folk moved my and a few mates about a week ago from the light house and he said the police are stopping all fishing here in the next few weeks, I asked him why as I have been fishing there since I was a nipper. Apparantly a few weeks ago a group of buckfast bangers thought the arran ferry would make a good target for their empty buckfast bottles and managed to land a few on the ferry as it was coming in to dock smashing around about the passengers. This excited each of their single brain cells so they decided to cast their feathers at the ferry and made a good few dents in the side of the ferry, then ran off before the police came. Yet again a few idiots spoil it for the decent folk actually wanting to fish. No harm having a few beers while you fish if no one is around but clean up after yourself and dont cause trouble. The harbour guy let us fish over the harbour wall at the back of the light house out of sight but he said that would be stopping soon too. Not worth the hassle even going down there nowthats why I was looking for new places.

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
shame i like ardrossan harbour

1 - 13 of 13 Posts