World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself in the happy position of being able to buy a new 4 stroke 15 hp outboard.
HOWEVER, dealers (eg Bill Higham) dont seem interested in answering my emails enquiring about prices, deals etc. They obviously dont need my money.

SO, can anyone recommend somewhere to get a good deal on a new motor?
SECONDLY can anyone recommend a new motor (4 stroke 15hp)? I am currently looking at the evinrudes because they seem a lot lighter than others.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i deal with Bill Higham and they are very good. Sometimes they are very busy and dont answer emails. Give them a call, you are more likly to get a deal over the phone, than by email

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i suppose it should be said that if you are in the position to pay cash for your new outboard then you are in the driving seat!! DONT PAY what the tag says,money still does talk,a GOOD deal is what you are after

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
wasn't best pleased with the motor I got from Bill Higham last year, £2500 for a 4 stroke mariner - to be delivered fully serviced and ready to go. It arrived ok (although 3 days late and nearly missed my holiday) rusty old oil filter was the first alarm bell about the lack of service, choke solenoid seized, one choke butterfly seized, and the power lift nearly empty of oil,

tried to phone, emailed repeatedly. gave up in the finish and forked out another £300 to get it put right locally

Good deals on suzuki's at the moment. got a couple of friends with them, an they're very happy

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Do a Google! Search "Best deals on Suzuki outboards + UK"
Don't forget the + UK bit or you'll get a load of USA sites.
This is the sort of thing 'Search Engines' like Google and Ask .com are for and I guess a whole lot of people get their info off them. I know I do. Give it a try!

Afishionado

PS did you try the link I gave you? Ther were a load of 15hp Mariners on it

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I know it's a trek from Kent but try Redline Outboards in Abingdon.01235 521562
Very helpful and as he's on the Thames he sells a lot of 15hp engines.

If he has anything 2nd hand the chances are that it's only been in fresh water.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haven't tried Redline Outboards yet, but the best so far seems to be :

(drum roll..........)

A suzuki 15hp 4stroke from Outboards Direct (Brighton) for £1595. This is the cheapest by about £25.

The Suzuki gets great reviews and is the same as the johnson which is slightly more expensive. It is also lighter than most and more compact.

I have always had mixed feelings about Suzuki outboards but these have always been the older ones. Anyone got any thoughts?:unsure:

·
Registered
842 Posts
GF

I bought my Suzuki 60 hp 4 stroke new last october on the recomendation from the dealer who sold me my boat, I had no experiance of Suzy's up to that point , but I'm very happy with my choice , the motor starts 1st time,even when left for weeks , is quiet , and very economical, its using just over a gallon per hour,
incidentally my motor came from Boating mania in Essex.
Obviously only time will tell how reliable it will be!!!

IMHO

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The Suzuki 4 strokes are nice engines in my opinion they seem to put the power in the water better than other makes. The only problem I have come across so far is a gearox on a 90hp but it had been clunked severly on the bottom a couple of times so it could have been down to damage rather than a fault.

Tohatsu are another good engine. Their 4 strokes are superb and the TLDI md50 is a peach.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had Suzuki 4 strokes for a while now and found them excellent. Just a word of caution regarding outboards direct other wise known as Oakley marine. As far as I know they are not an official Suzuki dealer. A friend of mine had his boat sunk lats year and their repair guy was commissioned to to the overhaul. To cut a long story short he was a freelancer who they just hire in to do their servicing and he was not an accredited Suzuki engineer. Loads of problems ensued with poor workmanship, etc. When we spoke to the Suzuki guys at the boat show following up on the issues they told us he was not now and agency for them. Which obviously means my pal was not the only one to have problems and had for 3 years commissioned Oakley's engineer to maintain his motor on the basis he was the authorised engineer.

Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts