World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i'm meeting my Dad and Brother for a session on the Lincs coast in a fortnight (they're staying at a caravan in Mablethorpe)
Will probably try somewhere like Bohemia or maybe Chaple Point for a night session...
BUT - where can I get live bait in Lincolnshire (Peeler and/or Lug) - are tehre any Tackle Shops? (I've googled but they all look like Coarse Fishing based) - or reliable Diggers I can contact.
Its not like a Chesil/Bristol Channel Session where I can happily get away with Sandeel/Bluey/Squid from the freezer and be confident...for Bass and/or Hounds I really need the good stuff :)

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
At Mablethorpe you should be able to pump some fresh blacks or yellow tails at low water. Just walk north up the beach a little way.
Chapel Point there is a chap called Dud who sells frozen bait. He lives in the bungalow opposite the car park, easily spotted as he stands fishing rods for sale by his gate
Trunch Lane, Chapel St Leonard’s , right at the end Lakeside Tackle usually have a good supply of frozen bait. Remember that hounds can be caught on squid too.
Good Luck

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remember that hounds can be caught on squid too.
Good Luck
Hehe so they say...but I've fished squid alot and caught Rays, Huss, Doggies, even bass but never Smoothies...I have however caught alot of Smoothies on Crab...
I tend to think the "smoothies on squid" thing is the same as Richard Walkers 44lb Carp on a potato...its not that Potato is a good Carp bait...he just fished Potato an awful long time in a place where there were carp and eventually caught...
Joking aside thanks with the heads up...just reached out to on Facebook so all sorted - brill!

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Hehe so they say...but I've fished squid alot and caught Rays, Huss, Doggies, even bass but never Smoothies...I have however caught alot of Smoothies on Crab...
I tend to think the "smoothies on squid" thing is the same as Richard Walkers 44lb Carp on a potato...its not that Potato is a good Carp bait...he just fished Potato an awful long time in a place where there were carp and eventually caught...
Joking aside thanks with the heads up...just reached out to on Facebook so all sorted - brill!
Glad you are all sorted and hope you all enjoy your session which is what it’s all about.
PS I only went hound fishing once last year. Trunch Lane about 5am one sunny weekend. Three lads from Sheffield were trudging off the beach after not a bite between them all night…..using very expensive peeler. Second cast…..guess what I caught on my very cheap squid……..! Cheers

·
Registered
6,057 Posts

i tend to think that smoothies will take squid as readily as crab when they are packed up

never had any doubt turning up on a lincs beach armed with fk all but a box or 2 of squid

early season n late season, when they are not in pack mode, crab will have the edge, and no doubt it can and will outfish squid, BUT, squid can and does fish its tits off, especially when the first crab finish peeling, and before the late season peelers

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys, just to resurrect an old thread - Dud at Chapel can't supply Lug next week - anyone have alternative suggestions for tackle shops or Bait Diggers in Lincolnshire that can supply any Sea Bait at all?
Seems ridiculous I'll have to order in from a South Coast Supplier with a £10- - £12 delivery charge...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Glad you are all sorted and hope you all enjoy your session which is what it’s all about.
PS I only went hound fishing once last year. Trunch Lane about 5am one sunny weekend. Three lads from Sheffield were trudging off the beach after not a bite between them all night…..using very expensive peeler. Second cast…..guess what I caught on my very cheap squid……..! Cheers
I can give you an oppisite example Alan, I fished at sutton a couple of years back and my peelers caught 19 hounds in 6 hours whilst the 2 lads next to me with squid caught NONE

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi Guys, just to resurrect an old thread - Dud at Chapel can't supply Lug next week - anyone have alternative suggestions for tackle shops or Bait Diggers in Lincolnshire that can supply any Sea Bait at all?
Seems ridiculous I'll have to order in from a South Coast Supplier with a £10- - £12 delivery charge...
I've got contact details for a digger in Sutton Bridge ( very south of Lincs ) if any good to you.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I can give you an oppisite example Alan, I fished at sutton a couple of years back and my peelers caught 19 hounds in 6 hours whilst the 2 lads next to me with squid caught NONE
Ha! That’s fishing Col!
I bet you have fished next to a mate on one of our beaches before using same bait, similar distance etc and had totally different catch result to him too.
Sometimes I just cannot fathom it, but that’s what keeps sending us back.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Big Catch Tackle right at the end of Trunch Lane, Chapel St L usually have a good selection of frozen sea baits……

1 - 13 of 13 Posts