World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished uni for Easter, I'm now in the position where I have 4 weeks free, a car and lots of bait thats desperate to be used up! I know it's not a good time but I'm willing to travel a long way (and to stay away for a few days) for a few good days/nights fishing. Any suggestions?? All advice appreciated :D

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Sorry to sound like a bummer Lewis (not THAT kind of a bummer!), but you'll probably really struggle in March? I don't think theyre's really been a successful catch report in a fortnight apart from the doggie fest at Loch Sunart?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Think Norway would be the best bet lewis lol. Like TB says no real hot spots yet. If i had the chance of a few days fishin a little tour of the West coast would be my bet or even some of the shore marks around Scrabster might produce.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
239 Posts
practice your casting this month, mind there is a casting day on the 25th. ( next sunday. )

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Aye, best listen to Keegy, certainly for the next couple of weeks or so. Not much doing in the Solway just now, and with this stormy weather, big tides this week and about 30 or more rivers and other minor waters flowing into the Solway there is going to be a lot of debris and weed in the water until the weekend, when the tides start dropping again. The start of April should see a marked improvement, with lots of dogfish from the popular marks, flounder population increasing, and the possibility of early plaice and bass. May try for plaice this weekend if conditions are good, probably blank, but good to get a good lengthy walk in the countryside.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep was pretty sure it would be dire! I might try and go up north, I'll see what the weathers like, there must be fish somewhere! Still I have 3 months off for summer so its not all bad! :fish: :)

Looks like I'll be working on my casting then, I've decided I want to learn to cast otg so I'll be looking for some tips from you Keegy! After my attempt last time, it should be funny to watch if nothing else :D

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
get a bug bat and go trout hunting.
Bug bat? Does that mean fly rod?? If so I've got one, thats what I'll probably be doing, hopefull get my permit for the River Nith this week so if the weather improves and the river drops I might be able to get out for some trout and greyling :fish:

·
Banned
400 Posts
aye, bug bat = fly rod.

I was going to go out tomorrow on the Kelvin and Allander but its looking dodgy unless the rain and snow stays off tonight. then Im def going out for a few hours.

·
Registered
248 Posts
[QUOTE Still I have 3 months off for summer so its not all bad! :fish: :)

3 months for summer:notworthy i thought i had the best job giving me 9 weeks annual leave :clap2: . Oh to be a student again:drunk:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
get yourself on a ferry and head for the south coast of ireland. theyre getting Bass, flounder, mullet and cod just now. especially as its windy. get good deals on the ferry fare and its only a 5hr drive south + diesel is cheaper by 30%.
I've actually been thinking about this, but I would probably go in the summer when I have a bit more money and the weather is better. Will definitely be looking into it more seriously :fish:

·
Registered
347 Posts
get yourself on a ferry and head for the south coast of ireland. theyre getting Bass, flounder, mullet and cod just now. especially as its windy. get good deals on the ferry fare and its only a 5hr drive south + diesel is cheaper by 30%.
Deisel is 30% cheaper in the Republic?

Good to know for June. Thanks, wont be filling my car up before I go then

·
Registered
234 Posts
Think Norway would be the best bet lewis lol. Like TB says no real hot spots yet. If i had the chance of a few days fishin a little tour of the West coast would be my bet or even some of the shore marks around Scrabster might produce.
Neal
The Skink

I was lookin at goin to norway in july for a few days, priced flights with ryanair for 6.99 + tax each way. might be worth considering. couple of rods and a tent, adds up to a cheap fishin trip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts