World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have purchased a Garmin 7012 and am thinking about mounting the ariel on the dashboard within the boat. Instruction book says you can do this but does anyone have bad experiences of mounting ariel inside boat? I know many chart plotters have built in ariels but do they perform as well as external ariels? Boat is GRP.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Ive two chartplotter`s fitted both Garmin one as external aerial and the other as internal ive mounted the external Aerial on my radar arch where it can get a clear view of the sky both work great

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
I also have 2 plotters, one with an internal antenna one with an external antenna roof mounted.
The external one does get a satellite fix quicker upon initial powering up but once the internal antenna unit has got a fix, maybe 1 minute max it is fine.

headlight

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
The recommendation is to mount them as low as possible but with clear view of the sky - the idea being the lower it's mounted the less it will move with the pitch and heal of the boat - but I can't imagine the difference between a coach roof and a wheelhouse roof makes much difference. I've had a plotter with a cabin roof antenna and an internal one under a GRP roof and my experiece has been the same as Headlight's - just takes a little longer on start up - once the fix has been obtained, no noticeable difference.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Plenty of folk drive round in cars with gps and that's a far worse situation than a grp cabin. As has been said, cold startup will be longer and accuracy will be slightly worse but real world it will be fine.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will probably mount on the top of the "Dashboard" so to speak just using the mushroom shaped part. Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
A Garmin GPS antenna will come with an under-deck mount so it can be mounted under the roof rather than on it. Alternatively you could mount it like this ;)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see in the installation instructions it says the antenna should be installed so that a distance of 1.5m is maintained between the antenna and all persons! That is difficult to achieve. Do sets with built in antenna not emit the same? If so they might only be inches away from driver.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I see in the installation instructions it says the antenna should be installed so that a distance of 1.5m is maintained between the antenna and all persons! That is difficult to achieve. Do sets with built in antenna not emit the same? If so they might only be inches away from driver.
They don't emit. It's a receiver not a transmitter. My HDS 5 is mounted on the console about 0.5 m from me and it works fine.

The instructions just say, 100mm from compass, 300mm from radio transmitter and 1.2m from antenna.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts