World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 year old has decided catching sticklebacks is ok but wants to have a go at real fishing. Anyone got any ideas where I can take him within a couple of hours drive of Burnham? As he's only 3 it will need to be easy and safe and with a decent chance of catching something (anything) before the attention span goes. I was thinking of maybe a bit of float fishing for wrasse at lyme regis harbour, figured watching a float would be more interesting for him than a rod tip. Not fished there myself since I was a kid, can you still bash little wrasse out easily?
Any other ideas?

Cheers
Tipper

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
this time of year most harbours are full of smallish mullett, Padstow comes to mind, me and my 3 girls do the wifes head in when we go there, the best bit is you can fish right by the water in the shallows and see the little fish take the bread flake if that dont keep the interest well as i said me and my 3 spend hours

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
hiya mate..west bay could be a option..took my 2 yr old with me down there fun catching small pollack etc on a float..he got bored after hour or so though..

one thing ive hered of before,cut a sponge into a fish shape and chuck this out if not catching..this gives them something to real in.
sounds stupid but its
psychology mate.keeps the atention going.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies guys, quie fancy the idea of West Bay, pretty close and never been there myself so wouldn't mind a look, cheers carlos, and if I can keep his attention on fishing for a whole hour I'll be amazed, it'll probably end up him wandering off with his Mum and me staying there playing, which is fine by me, any excuse to play at being a kid again.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
West Bay harbour isn't fishing particularly well ( coloured water). There are thousands of bootlace eels, and a few bits and pieces from the bottom. Float fishing is not producing at present. Lyme may be your best bet, out on the canon wall ( the first bit by the rocks for wrasse ) all kinds of fish can be caught close in, that is, dropped over the edge.
Crabbing on the harbour side or fishing from the seaward, sandy beach at the start of the wall.......toilets and ice cream a short walk away ...and shops for the significant other.

Ticks all the boxes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yep,Lyme worked for me as a kid,and has done for my kids over the years. But if its more fish you fancy,I would suggest Brixham breakwater on the inner side. There are steps at intervals along its length so you can actualy sit at water level. The water is deep and absolutely teaming with wrasse and pollack to float fished rag.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The Canon Wall or North wall is the one without the buildings have a look here
click on the webcam link then choose North wall from the choose a view box, click change view and have a look.... it is busy there at the moment....

I can see a few ankle-biters there crabbing

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Canon Wall or North wall is the one without the buildings have a look here
click on the webcam link then choose North wall from the choose a view box, click change view and have a look.... it is busy there at the moment....

I can see a few ankle-biters there crabbing
Cheers Cap'n you're a star. :clap3:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts