World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what braid to use,looking for 20 to 30lb for Florida just for my 3,000 to 5000 size Reels. Wondering if any of the bulk spools from China are any good or not worth bothering with.
Cheers all.
Bill.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
I find the lighter line class in braids I prefer tend to only be in smaller spools of around 400m where heavier and cheaper braids will come in spools of up to 3000m. When I have bought bulk spools such as Daiwa saltiga, I tend to find I'm left with large amounts of braid when I move onto the next new improved line to come out. Not that saltiga is bad at all, just soft limp line you really don't want to be casting.

Ive used plenty of Shimano ocea and never had a single issue with it, which comes in 400m spools. The latest version of ocea seems to once again be very good, which my daughter has been using in 50lb size on dozens of tuna over recent weeks in the 50-70kg size and not one fail.

The suffix 131 Ive been using in both 20-30lb has to be my favorate braid right now. Having so many strands it tends to feel and sound like mono as it runs over the rod rings. It casts better than any braid Ive used and is barely showing any singns at all of discolouring after almost two years of hard use on some of my reels. 20lb in this braid has been fine with drag settings virtually on 20lb but with heavier leaders. 20lb 131 also outcasts any other 20lb braid Ive used. Going to get some 10lb 131 if I can ever get my hands on it as it sells so quickly.

If it's bulk you want then powerpro, finns,fireline jbraid etc all have bulk spools but for me quality over quantity ends up being the most cost effective in the end.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
I'll have a look at 131 after that advice. Cheers Jon. 👍
Don't go to heavy in line class. The first reel I put some 20lb on was to replace some power pro which was claimed to be 10lb but had discoloured and fluffed up so bad after just a few months that my 40-50g stick baits were struggling to reach 40m. The 131 instantly had me back into the 80m + again using 7ft spin rods with 4-5000 spin reels. Like I said the line still performs extremely well where I would of normally reversed and replaced other brands by now, making it actually cheaper long term than budget lines in my opinion. There were a few others on here from the UK who seemed very happy with it too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You can get Berkley Whiplash Pro on 1000 and 2000m spools. Thin, supple and casts superb, but it's not cheap

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
131 is v pricey!
How pricey, how does it compare with power pro or Braid ?
If sayits three times more expensive but outlasts others by 4 to 5 times and casts and feels far better to use then is it really that expensive.

Back to the original question, asking about Chinese bulk spools, simply put its a risk what you get when buying from fleabay!!! Have you looked at what price you can buy the braid for when you get to Florida, normally America has better prices than the UK and better choice too. You could also have it delivered to the hotel for your arrival.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have seen many people buy and use the Chinese braid and I have nothing good to say about it. It is very thick, it causes lots of drag in the water, has a really low knot strength, but you get what you pay for. I am assuming you have spent your hard earned money on going to Florida why then try and save a bit of money on braid.......

I really like power pro but of course there are many other brands out there and each offer different things. Plus it depends on what and how you are planning on fishing with it ie, casting lures

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all, I have powerpro on a few reels and Berkley on others, but was just wanting an opinion from some of you who have fished abroad.I usually buy from Bass pro when there so I will see if I can get some in Florida at a good price.

Cheers,

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Thanks all, I have powerpro on a few reels and Berkley on others, but was just wanting an opinion from some of you who have fished abroad.I usually buy from Bass pro when there so I will see if I can get some in Florida at a good price.

Cheers,
You will still find power pro to be one of the biggest selling braids in the US, which isn't bad braid by any means, its just that there are smother longer lasting lines. Good luck on the trip.

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
I meant make, ie Berkley or Powerpro etc.
:) Braid is like main line/nylon, 10 people will give you 10 different answers. Personally I like Power Pro, Whiplash and Suffix on smaller reels as it's generally thinner so capacity is better. For larger, boat reels the cheaper Chinese stuff is fine as capacity isn't a problem but Super Cast is a good one, although a bit dearer than the Chinese lines. Try a couple and see what suits you. TBH there aren't many bad braids out there, not room for them now there are so many good braids. :)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looked on the USA website and it comes up Suffix 232 not 131 so not sure if it's marketed under a different over there,but it's a lot cheaper than the UK.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts