World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my old, very cheap reel has expired....(surprised it lasted that long) any recommendations for beach casting (not spinning) ... bit of grunt maybe required. poss up to £50 to spend,cheers

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Digit.
With F/S reels it unfortunately seems to be a case of you get what you pays for.
The Ron Thompson Crucifier at around the £50 mark,8 ball bearings,aluminium spool..appears to be the pick of the bunch.
I cant see it lasting too long over the rough stuff,unless someone knows different.
Penn have their critics but I have been using the 70 for any F/s work and have found it a joy to use. Maybe the bail arm turnover is a bit clunky but I`m just being picky. At around the £70 mark....but maybe cheaper if you look around.
Hope this helps bud.

Terry F.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Just remembered mate,
July Sea Angler has a review on a few F/S.
I think they were around the money you are looking at.
Sorry I cant be more specific but i sent my copy to Bassbe in Belgium.
He was struggling to get hold of a copy.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If you shop around a bit, for an extra 10 or so quid you could get a PENN surfmaster. For the money they're the best real around IMO. My dad has one and can hit decent distances with it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
shimano aerlex 50 quid, the okumas also seem quite strong reels, i have the axion but thats more than 50 quid, its more like 70 now, but theres a few you can try ,

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Yep! - Shimano Aerlex is a damn fine reel. I've got 2 of them and they are pretty much bomb proof. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you shop around online, i think you can get a Daiwa Emcast for about 50 quid now.

Excellent reel, very sturdy, and you can cast a damn long way with it, as far as any multiplier in my own experience.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The best-fixed spool reel on the market for up to £100 is Daiwa Emcast 5500:

http://www.tackleup.com/reels_2.htm

I've been using it for more than a year now and it is the business. Casts like a dream, real power house, wonderfully smooth, and feels indestructible.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry for the delay ... and thankyou for the replies ... looks like i'll go for the surfmaster 70 .. managed to butcher an older reel to fix for heavy work and the 70 will probably help with my not soo distance casting :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts