World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
im new to the fly and stugglre to know which fly to use at which venue are there any tips on which flies to use amnd when to use them.
line tips
when to use dry?
when to use intermediate?
when to use fast sinking?

what length leeder? what poundage?

what colours etc?
thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
I always use 6lb clear line (unless using a dry then 4lb) when you get to a new venue take a walk round first see if u can see any fish rising look at what they are rising for and use some thing simular if none are rising I would use a floating line with a Montana nymphs or a hears ear the if nothing move to a intermidiet and use the same flies but try buzzers and lures such as fritz cats whiskers and just flies to get an attack

Depending on what time of year it is you might get a night rise and when you do it is normally the best time to catch a trout I normally put on floating line when this happens and start with little dries like a cdc or a little flie that will just go under the surface some times a black buzzer as it gets darker I would swap to a muddler minnow and try variouse retreves fast slow and some times just leving it out there

If it's winter I stick to small flies on a intermidiet line or a full sing with slow retreves also in any time of year if there is regular people feeding ducks with bread when they have finished go there with a white flie this normally produces a fish and if the place if you can find out if it is stocked regularly if it is just use a fritz you can't fail

·
Registered
936 Posts
The best thing you can do when learning to fish is to experiment with different techniques. Take into consideration wind, how warm it is, if its overcast, if flies are hatching off the water etc etc and try and think about what will work.

If its overcast and warm, then generally fish will become quite high in the water so may be worth trying either dries or nymphs. If theres signs of fish rising then dries will probably work best. Remember fish do not have eyelids and so dont like the sun too much. if its real bright, its likely that the fish will be down on the bottom and possibly not as active as normal. This may mean that u need to fish with a sinking line, and possibly small lures slowly retireved or nymphs along the bottom.

Dry fly fishing is particuarly hard to learn and can take some time to get the hang off. Ive recently added a post to a thread about dry fly fishing on this site. Have a read of that. Saves me typing it all out again. Its worth adding to that post that you need to "match the hatch". At certain times in the year particular species of insects will hatch from the water and fish can be fixed on these particular insects. The most famous example has got to be the mayfly. Perhaps have a read up on that too and get a book on entomology.

Lengths of leader can be important too. Short leaders often sink faster than long leaders because they are closer to your mainline. If you want to fish something like a team of nymphs high up in the water then long leaders are often better because the flies will sink at a slower rate. Some nymph patterns can be tied of light hooks too. Just like others are tide on heavy course fishing hooks.

Freshly stocked fish are often fooled alot easier than trout that have been in a lake for a long time. So they are often caught when fishing lures fast. Its also worth notign that freshly stocked fish dont often venture out into deep water until they have got used to their surroundings. Many fish, prior to being stocked have been in a cage or stew pond all their lives, which more often than not, are shallow. So when put in a large lake they often stay in shallow water first and shoal up because they feel safe. This can lead to some good fishing btu can also be abit too easy too.

I could go on and on about this but theres not much point, just get out there and try different methods and think about what you are doing. As they say, imagine your the fish! lol. Hope this helps, Goodluck, j

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Any fly fishing book will assist you.

There are too many variables that will relate to a single line.

Should you really wish to pursue fly-fishing would you consider some help?

A guy that I know will assist you on Lake of Mentieth, Scotland, (ask to chat with Jimmy Twaddle).

If there is a Master at fly-fishing then he is the master.

All he will ask is that you pay the cost of the boat.:1a:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts