World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking at making my own leads in the near future. Which wire is the best to use for the grip wire, 16 or 18 gauge? I have read somewhere in the past 16 is best but cant seem to find any on flea bay. Is 18 sufficient?

Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I use 18 for all my leads and get my wires from Davey's fishing tackle on Ebay, Be carefull if you buy grip wires from Ebay as Ive had some that were very soft and just bent ,Not springy at all. The ones from Davey's seem pretty good and come in 6 and 7 inch lengths

·
Registered
996 Posts
Either that or look online for a local hardware/tool shop, or even better a welding supplies company, and ask for some 1.6mm 316 stainless steel Tig welding filler rods. Never know your luck????

Its Exactly the same thing except just straight lengths rather than cut to shorter lengths, then sold as "Grip wires for fishing leads" at a higher price for exactly the same stuff.

Also, 2.4mm rods are great for the tail loops when bent into shape with a pair of long nosed pliers ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.