World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking for a new fishing reel as I have just sold my 6500 Mag Elite, dont know which one to get but I have numbered it down to these 3 reels:-

1) penn 525 mag extra
2) daiwa sealine sl30sh...or a slosh X (is there any difference between these 2 daiwa reels?)
3) okuma magnetix model no mg30cs

Or any other reels that you may think suitable - I do a mixture of rock and shore fishing.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as I have always used Abu reels.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have two sl20 1 sl30 and two 525 super mags
the 30 is a great reel for hauling conger or huss up as you can put 40lb line right thru but for casting purposes its a little to big to get my hand around,
the 525 are a great casting tool but may be not as tough as the slosh's therefor my general sea fishing reels have to be the 20's as rough ground isn't a prob casting is good and cranking power is secound to none ive looked at the magnetix but its the noise they make on casting and retrieve i dare say people will love them but i'd sooner pay the extra £20 and get the sloshs

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am currently looking for a new fishing reel as I have just sold my 6500 Mag Elite, dont know which one to get but I have numbered it down to these 3 reels:-

1) penn 525 mag extra
2) daiwa sealine sl30sh...or a slosh X (is there any difference between these 2 daiwa reels?)
3) okuma magnetix model no mg30cs

Or any other reels that you may think suitable - I do a mixture of rock and shore fishing.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as I have always used Abu reels.

What kind of ground are you fishing? The 525 is the best all rounder for distance but will still handle the rough stuff, the other two are rough ground reels, best with 30lb straight through...

·
Registered
706 Posts
i have two sl20 1 sl30 and two 525 super mags
the 30 is a great reel for hauling conger or huss up as you can put 40lb line right thru but for casting purposes its a little to big to get my hand around,
the 525 are a great casting tool but may be not as tough as the slosh's therefor my general sea fishing reels have to be the 20's as rough ground isn't a prob casting is good and cranking power is secound to none ive looked at the magnetix but its the noise they make on casting and retrieve i dare say people will love them but i'd sooner pay the extra £20 and get the sloshs
The slosh30 is eactly the same as the 20, only wider. So there is no difference between the two for gripping the spool. If anything the 30 is a little easier as the gearbox is further from the reel seat, leaving a bit more room for your knuckle!

I wouldn't say the sloshes are any tougher that the 525s, just more 'agricultural' lol!

Oh and the noise on the magnetix is the secondary anti-reverse pawl, designed as a back-up for game fish abroad. This is easily removed, leaving the silent roller bearing anti-reverse to operate alone (same as the 525mags).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of ground are you fishing? The 525 is the best all rounder for distance but will still handle the rough stuff, the other two are rough ground reels, best with 30lb straight through...
It can be all different types of ground from sand , shingle and heavy kelp beds but is mostly light rock and shingle.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It can be all different types of ground from sand , shingle and heavy kelp beds but is mostly light rock and shingle.
The Penn is definitely the best choice for you out of those three then. As an alternative, the SHV20 is the equivalent size from Daiwa, the 30 is a bit big if distance is important.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Depending on the ground you fish i would look at the Okuma Magnetix 30 or the Penn 535Mag. Both will take plenty of 30lb mono or 20lb mono and a 60lb shockleader. For £55 the Magnetix seems good value and a lot of the match men from over my way have bought them as they like the large handle and cranking power for heavy ground. A good little reel is the new Fladen 666, must say i thought it would be crap but a few lads my way rate them. Apparently Fladen produce their reels in the former Abu factory and the quality of these things is just as good as the older abus. If this is true or not i dont really no but for £40ish they look good enough.

·
Registered
438 Posts
sl 20 or 30 i have had them for years had the penns mag as well abu as well sold them and gone back to the slosh for the price they are now you can not go wrong they will last for ever

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,642 Posts
sl20 by far......... buolt like a brickhouse, cheap and very cost effectrive at only around £70 you cant go wrong!!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I have a 1970's Abu 7000 which was given to me still in good working order, and after many years of heavy duty work it has needed only a few minor repairs and is still infact used regularly. How many of the SLOSH boys can say that of your reels?!!! Seriously though, even though i own a Penn 525mag and 535gs, a Daiwa SL20SH and several Abu 7000's i cant see why th Abus receive so much bad press. In my honest opinion the 7000 is just as hard wearing, casts nearly aswell and can cope with the roughest of grounds. Just go to your tackle shop, pick them all up and have a play with them. Perhaps even take your rod and see how they all feel on it if your local tackle shop owner will allow you. Youe best just going with the one which you think feels best. All of the above listed reels are much alike and i can gaurantee all will do the job for you for many years aslong as you take care of them.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The slosh30 is eactly the same as the 20, only wider. So there is no difference between the two for gripping the spool. If anything the 30 is a little easier as the gearbox is further from the reel seat, leaving a bit more room for your knuckle!

I wouldn't say the sloshes are any tougher that the 525s, just more 'agricultural' lol!

Oh and the noise on the magnetix is the secondary anti-reverse pawl, designed as a back-up for game fish abroad. This is easily removed, leaving the silent roller bearing anti-reverse to operate alone (same as the 525mags).
bloody top post that one!

·
Banned
549 Posts
not got multis but based on recent posts regarding daiwa's customer service, id go for the penn or an abu!!!

tightlines
alan

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
The Penn is definitely the best choice for you out of those three then. As an alternative, the SHV20 is the equivalent size from Daiwa, the 30 is a bit big if distance is important.
No its not !!

Slosh 30 is definitely the best all rounder. It casts well and holds enough 30lb + line for the heavy ground. It will also offer a better retrieve in the kelp.

525 mags cast well but just dont hold enough heavy line.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well got my new reel today:clap2: and i went for the SL30SH not just for the price but also the fact that it will hold some heavy line. Oh i also got a second hand millionaire 7ht that has had some tweeks done and so the spool spins for
5mins and 26sec aprox got that for £35:thumbs: not a bad days shopping just got to get my lass something now as she is going MAD:mad:
Thanks for all the hellp on this one:clap3:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts