World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's and Girls

Thinking about buying a 2 speed reel and REALLY like the look of the Saltiga SALD40

Has anyone any experience with them or can you suggest an alternative

T.I.A
Carl

·
Registered
19,712 Posts
Hi Guy's and Girls

Thinking about buying a 2 speed reel and REALLY like the look of the Saltiga SALD40

Has anyone any experience with them or can you suggest an alternative

T.I.A
Carl
:) Plenty of 2 speed reels out there. I have Accurates which I rate the best but not cheap, Shimanos, Daiwas, Alutechnos and several others. Not tried the Saltiga you mention but I've got and had Saltigas and they are quality reels. It's all down to what you want to pay and how much quality you want. :)

·
Registered
10,650 Posts
I've had a couple of averts which didn't hold up to long on the species we have on offer here. I also had two UK sharking guys fish with me for a couple of weeks last year using some of the bigger avet reels, which to me were very average in terms of smooth drag performance. They might be ok on occasional big fish but after a few days ( the first day infact ) they seemed well below average.

The Talica 2 reels remain very popular among game anglers and the good thing is these can be found in small models right up to the biggest game reels needed on just about any species. Very much like the rugged reliability of Tiagra's but in a much more user friendly size and weight. There are a few members on here who have them but I haven't seen to many catch reports from them ( or anyone!!!!).

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
For UK waters I'd say you could go a bit lighter - maybe the 20 or 35. The precise engineering on these is tough enough for most UK species unless you go deep-water or after big conger. It's designed with slow jigging in mind so is built to take the direct strain of fighting decent fish while the skinny little rod takes the afternoon off.
Lightness is important to me. I use a baitcaster reel (Abu Revo Toro Beast) for my south coast drift wrecking and it's fine with the fish I catch - the bonus is that it being palm-sized makes it less tiring to use on the long hard days in mid-Channel. The wrecks I fish from Dorset are in too shallow water to have to worry about a fast retrieve.
Otherwise, the Shimano Talicas are excellent, albeit old-school and still a bit heavy in the 2-speed version; I have a couple of 2-speed Avet Raptors which I only use abroad. Shimano Ocea jigging reels are designed with the same job in mind as your Saltiga and are, once again, a light, powerful alternative. And there are a few cheaper alternatives such as Poseidon which are highly regarded.
You'll notice these are mostly slow jigging reels but these small, powerful lightweights, coupled with braid, really have moved the goalposts and the days of using a heavy lump of metal sitting on top of a broomstick for wrecking are past.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Accurate without a doubt I've Avets as well but Accurates knock spots off them failing that id have a saltiga

1 - 6 of 6 Posts