World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 2lb Dab or a 10lb Conger?

Any thoughts?
I can't get my head round it seen as conger can grow to 200lb in some areas while this would be a specimen dab.
Mickeythemackeral:blink:

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
i would go with the dab,as a 2lb dab is more uncommon than a 10lb conger.

i fished off laga bay last year,on a boat and caught a 17lb and a 12lb conger within an hour of each other.

but no 2lb dabs. :(

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
as far as specimen sizes go the dab is the bigger.
for example, shore specimen weight for a dab is 1lb4oz and for conger is 30lb (going by south west fed sizes).
if you convert into percentage, a 1lb4oz(20oz) dab would be 100%. a 2lb dab(32oz) would be 160% of it's spec weight..... calculation: 32/20=1.6...... 1.6x100=160

a 10lb conger would be 30% of it's specimen weight (correct me if im wrong i couldnt be assed with the calculations and my maths is crap).

although a 10lb eel is bigger than a 2lb dab, a 2lb dab has a bigger specimen weight.

hope that hasnt confused things further, its a head f*** at first but makes sence once u get ur head round it

btw a specimen fish is one of 100%+ of its specimen weight...... i'll shut up now!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Yip a 2lb dab you be great....much harder to get than a 10lb conger.

Codfather2 has a good explanation of it though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My club fishes its comps to NFSA specimen weights.If I had the Dab I would be opening the champagne , if I had the conger I would chuck it back.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The correct answer to the question as asked is the 10lb conger. This is because
it is 5 times as heavy as the dab and therefore bigger:) :) :)
If you wished to know which was the best speciman then that is the question you should have asked:dry:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Any thoughts?
I can't get my head round it seen as conger can grow to 200lb in some areas while this would be a specimen dab.

are you comparing a fish you caught with one your dad caught by any chance he he he lol

and a question for you micky why isnt your dad a member of this great site

mark

·
Registered
244 Posts
a 10lb conger would be 30% of it's specimen weight (correct me if im wrong i couldnt be assed with the calculations and my maths is crap).
not being picky, but 10lb conger to the 30lb specimen would be a 10/30 which in percentage would be 33.3333....% lol

G

·
A 2lb Dab is a superb fish by anyones standards.
A 10lb Conger is barely a bootlace and most anglers would sneer at it as a bait robber. I for one would be very dissapopinted if that little earthworm appeared at the surface instea of a proper fish.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
not being picky, but 10lb conger to the 30lb specimen would be a 10/30 which in percentage would be 33.3333....% lol
thanks for the confirmation! i would have got that if had been bothered to pick up the calculator, i was tired!:)

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
i have caught thousands of dabs and not one to 2lb. it has just taken me 5 years to get one just over 1lb. that is in an area where dabs can be caught every session all year round.

if i set my stall to get a conger of 10lb i dont think it would take long in the right area.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The correct answer to the question as asked is the 10lb conger. This is because
it is 5 times as heavy as the dab and therefore bigger:) :) :)
If you wished to know which was the best speciman then that is the question you should have asked:dry:
You have worked it out as has everyone else so why the need for the comment:g:
Neal
The SKink
P.S.
2lb Dab, happy days

·
Registered
317 Posts
Why you ask?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
dab for me, and he would be just the right size for my plate......yum...yum:yahoo:

·
Registered
706 Posts
If you were to bring the two fish to a weigh-in for an open shore competition in Cornwall, fished against CFSA Rules, the dab woud score 200% (1lb one-day specimen weight) and would almost certainly win the competition. The conger on the other hand would barely weigh (min. wt. 10lb) and would only score 56% against the specimen weight of 18lb. You would probably be slated for killing one so small.

The full annual specimen weights for these two fish in Cornwall are 1lb 6oz for dab and 28lb for conger. Once again, the dab wins by a country mile.

·
Registered
24,781 Posts

Any thoughts?
:secret: Try lugging 7 ten pound congers over three miles of dry sand instead of 7 two pound dabs . It will leave you in no doubt as to which fish is the biggest.:kissing:

The mathematicians were trying to give you a proportional representation with respect to a fishes upper growth weight .

Lies :blink: , Dam lies :blink: and STATISTICS :bye2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts