World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this will be my first kayak (and the wife has given me the go ahead :BigGrin:) but I'm stuck on which one to get. Currently I'm looking at the Bluefin Kingfisher and the Galaxy Sturgeon, I'm swaying more towards the Sturgeon. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've had a Kingfisher. It was very very stable, no two ways about it. Very wide boat requiring a very long paddle. A dry ride which is a positive. Lots of storage. An absolute barge to paddle and heavy to move around and load onto a van. The Galaxy, never tried but they're only five miles up the road from here. My current boat is a Perception. Easier/faster to paddle but with less storage.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
He said they were hard to paddle and heavy to load which are the negatives, and a dry ride with lots of storage the positives. I`m not too sure the Kingfishers seat is anything like professional and looks too high in the pictues. I would ask what do you want from a kayak, where are you going to fish from mainly and what type of fishing (drifting with lures or anchoring with bait)?
If you have chosen them for cheapness then why not check out the perception triumph or Ocean T/P13 kayaks, especially as they can be bought 2nd hand for good prices and sometimes with ancilliary equipment.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The current Kingfisher advert looks to show a much higher seat than the one l had. The seat was comfy. A word about storage. The more available, the more gear you'll be tempted to take therefore more weight and effort. If you're a complete novice doubtful that you'd venture up to the front hatch once on the water.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The current Kingfisher advert looks to show a much higher seat than the one l had. The seat was comfy. A word about storage. The more available, the more gear you'll be tempted to take therefore more weight and effort. If you're a complete novice doubtful that you'd venture up to the front hatch once on the water.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Solid advice, thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He said they were hard to paddle and heavy to load which are the negatives, and a dry ride with lots of storage the positives. I`m not too sure the Kingfishers seat is anything like professional and looks too high in the pictues. I would ask what do you want from a kayak, where are you going to fish from mainly and what type of fishing (drifting with lures or anchoring with bait)?
If you have chosen them for cheapness then why not check out the perception triumph or Ocean T/P13 kayaks, especially as they can be bought 2nd hand for good prices and sometimes with ancilliary equipment.
I move over to Chester next month so would be going to the Dee or The Mersey and also over to Anglesey. As for the type of fishing I would say we will be trying out both. I've never owned a Kayak before so it's hard to say exactly what I want. The main reason I asked is I don't want to spend £500 in one when there are better out there for that price.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you're in the Midlands at all l'm more than happy to take you out on the river to let you try my boat out and see if you feel comfortable on a kayak. By the time l'd bought a sit on l'd experience in cockpitted boats so missed out on any buttock clenching effect.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Anything by Hobie, unless you can fish with your feet....Hobie the Carlsberg of fishing kayaks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're in the Midlands at all l'm more than happy to take you out on the river to let you try my boat out and see if you feel comfortable on a kayak. By the time l'd bought a sit on l'd experience in cockpitted boats so missed out on any buttock clenching effect.
Where abouts are you? We will be in Chester from Sunday evening and I'll be on leave for 3 weeks so any time would be great!

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
That's awesome! Where abouts are you on this video? How much, all together, have you spent on it roughly, if you don't mind me asking? Definitely somethkng to aim for!
I'm in Qld Australia, but I had the same design of kayak in the UK. I used to catch cod from it mid winter in the North Sea, and troll and jig for mackerel and bass on the Cromer/Mundesley coast in the Summer

The kayak stands me in about 5000 pounds sterling, this includes a bespoke trailer

1 - 20 of 26 Posts