World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just took delivery of 2 new Saltist 30h's (many thanks Alex from Fishing Mayhem) and wondered what breaking strain or diameter you would recommend for rough grounding?

I have a couple of Abu Chrome Rockets loaded up with 15lb Ultima Powerplus which I will use for clean ground work, so the saltist will only be needed for the rough stuff and maybe a bit of boat work.

Although I use braid on both my other boat and spinning reels, I would rather stick to mono (at least for now) on the Saltists.

I haven't done much rough ground fishing (never been hussing or congering), but was thinking that I should be looking at either 30lb or 40lb straight through, but would appreciate hearing what most recommend for rough grounding.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
i personally use 35lb mainline straight through on the sl30sh'es.
which i think will have a similar capacity .

this is fine for rough ground .

·
Registered
653 Posts
Howbe mate, i normally use 25lb b;s when fishing the rough stuff. What you need to realise is that the heavier the b;s the less line your reel will hold. I use an sl30sh for the rough myself & i dont use any shockleader (weakest point), but i dont use a powercast & i only use an overhead thump ((check your line regularly for frays). Lately though i'm thinking of stepping up to the 30lb sakuma nite crystal as the diameter is lower than most other brands of the same b;s.:thumbs:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will check out the 30lb Sakuma Nite Crystal.

Any recommendations on where to buy as my local tackle shop doesn't stock it.

Cheers again.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i have two, one uses 40lb / .40 teklon gold, the other used .30mm / 30lb round braid. no bother with either and as strong as hell when pulling out of snaggs!

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
get some braid instead its easy enough to learn to cast with ,and so much better for those delicate conger bites,use 60 lbs whiplash crystal myself and havnt looked back

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Morning all!
Just caught this one and if you'd asked you could have got some sakuma line off me as we stock it too! lol!

Alex Smith
Fishing Mayhem

I didn't think to ask at the time, lol. Thanks for the deal on the reels though, after a little confusion on my part, I am now in love with these reels!

All sorted on the line front now though, thanks to Blakdog tackle for their quick and efficient service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts