World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

after trying my first spinning session which resulted in my first ever pollack :)
i went and looked too see what i had in my old tackle boxes ,
found these, ( which have been purchased in sale lots etc and never been used so ive no idea what fish these will target ? )

will any off these be suitable for bass or pollack from the shore ? or are they too big ?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
hello,

after trying my first spinning session which resulted in my first ever pollack :)
i went and looked too see what i had in my old tackle boxes ,
found these, ( which have been purchased in sale lots etc and never been used so ive no idea what fish these will target ? )

will any off these be suitable for bass or pollack from the shore ? or are they too big ?

hi m8

the second 1 looks like a storm shad not sure what the rest are ,should catch on em though .

Mark

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
first one spinner bait good for mackeral coalies not so great for pollock second one a shad of sorts good for pollock , third one a surface popper , use this late in the evening an you might get a surprise bass and an odd pollock this one is the most exciting 4th one a tiger shad good for pollock and cod on the boat in deeper water last one a jointed plug , it will catch pollock to a lesser extent but will take bass and mackeral; and coalies !! best for pollock i have found is black with red tail jelly worms or a black and pink shad :clap3:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hullo,
ive been wondering about them for months now, 2 mins on this forum and i got info :)

cheers.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Number 2 looks to me like a leadheaded Vivif Martin shad in Firetiger colours to me, i think the 6'' ones weigh 43g. Number 3 is a ron Thompson Bass buster which is about 38g, a popper type plug which is good for bass in the shallower water over rock and weed as it is a surface lure. Number 5 looks like a Ron Thompson Splitting Jack, they weigh about 19g and these dive to about 3-5ft. They are good for bass in slightly deeper water, but are also good for pollack from shallower rock marks where kelp is not so much a problem. I took a pollack of 6lb8oz on Fladen jointed Conrad in salmon colour from the rock ledges last year and had a few other better fish on them around the 3-5lb mark. The other two lures don't look as effective mate Number 1 being to small to cast any distance and the other shad type lure looks more of a boat fishing lure. Hopefully that helps you Andy mate and you may now be able to remember the names of the lures.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
The third one will just float and you'll need to jerk it in making waves and ripples on the surface. Best fished when its a bit calm. The commotion should get the bass to come up and take aggressively on the surface.

Jerk it a few yards then let it stay for 5 seconds and then do the same again. Sometimes a bass will take it static.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Just PM me about any lures in question Andy. I have a good knowledge of them, especially for bass fishing. I have a collection of over 70 various rapala, storm, abu, etc. One of my bass fishing buddies even collects vintage lures and lure catalogues! Anything he doesn't know about lures isn't worth knowing. Perhaps not the best method for catching pollock but always worth a try, generally they don not dive deep enough though mate, and its always a bit 'hairy' using £5-10 lures around snags and kelp beds. Best left to the cleaner ground for the bass TBH mate.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers again for all the great info.

Bass will soon be on my target , so its good too know i have a few lures for them,

thanx again
Andy.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
my advice is if your using number 5, then it will work alot better if you remove the yellow tape..............i hope that helps

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my advice is if your using number 5, then it will work alot better if you remove the yellow tape..............i hope that helps

lol :)
sounds like you must be a newbi like me,
heres me thinking it was a fancy add on too the wierd looking lure. :)

i will remove it before i catch my first Bass. :)

cheers.
Andy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts