World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hi,
I feel that the best make of rod is the one that you are most happy with,wether its a zzipy,conoflex,century,penn,abu, or fladden.
we all work hard and buy what we as individuals feel is the best as long as we enjoy our fishing,casting thats all that matters,one thing is for sure when we are on the shingle and a fish takes the bait they have no idea what rod is hauling them up the beach.

Rich:fishing:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I expect a lot of people to say zippy, but im under the impression that unless you can truely utilise its performance then its certainly no better, and if not worse than any other rod more specifically aimed at a particular method of angling. i personally don't like zzippys and find they, no matter which model, dont suit my angling styles. Lovely pieces of kit but not for me.

Conoflex are amazing pieces of kit, however i can't say ive used many of their rods. My nemesis slr+ was splendid, and would rive kelp form the sea bed whereas other rods would simply crunch, the worrying thing with the nemmy wa show light it was for its power. and it would send a lead a long way!

Im yet to try a century, but i'll have one by thursday, so i'll let you know!

Personally i think the best rod for me is my ron thomspon axellerator. Might sound crap but i assure you, it could pull a truck!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
i have rods by zipplex conoflex daiwa and penn mustad(tele) abu browning for sea fishing and for freahwater i have daiwa greys shakespere mitchell fox silstar avanti airflo and there are probably another few i have forgotten...all im trying to say is i use the best rod(that suits me and i can afford)for the job there is no miracle rod that suits every situation

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reasoon I'm asking is that next year I have the funds to buy a rod custom built. Once in a life time oppertunity as they say :)

Ive looked at alba rods and the use conoflex for the majority of there blanks but can source which ever blank yopu ask for within limits.

I dont have the contacts to try the likes of conoflex, zzippies and the like rods so asking the forum on there thoughts.

My fav rod is my diawa longbeam :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
All the ones you have listed in the first post make great rods, as do other makes, what one you prefer is down to preference and your fishing needs and also price.

The only people who can really tell you are those that have casted and fished with every rod from every company.

I personally don't think there is one company that overall makes better rods than any other, usually each company has at least one or two outstanding models of rod, with some more than others.

On the beach I'd be more than happy to fish with many of the rods from Century, Conoflex, Zziplex, AFAW, Daiwa etc, they all do the same thing at the end of the day.

What's more important is getting the correct rod for your casting technique/ability and one that suits the type of fishing you do and any other characteristics you like to have in a rod.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
All the ones you have listed in the first post make great rods, as do other makes, what one you prefer is down to preference and your fishing needs and also price.

The only people who can really tell you are those that have casted and fished with every rod from every company.

I personally don't think there is one company that overall makes better rods than any other, usually each company has at least one or two outstanding models of rod, with some more than others.

On the beach I'd be more than happy to fish with many of the rods from Century, Conoflex, Zziplex, AFAW, Daiwa etc, they all do the same thing at the end of the day.

What's more important is getting the correct rod for your casting technique/ability and one that suits the type of fishing you do and any other characteristics you like to have in a rod.
Well said. Cheers Dave.

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
The one you catch fish on!!!! Names mean bgger all.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
...I dont have the contacts to try the likes of conoflex, zzippies and the like rods so asking the forum on there thoughts...
If there's no rush to get the rod of your dreams, you could do worse than keep your eye out for one of the occasional casting tuition days organised on the Scottish Forum.

Although I haven't been to one personally (yet!), I think that there is usually a wide selection of rods on show and it's a great opportunity to ask questions and maybe try a few. :thumbs:

·
**72**
4,716 Posts
If you want a "Once in a lifetime" rod then Zziplex would get my vote but Cono-Flex and Century will more than fit the bill, I would consider a call/e-mail to these companys and tell them you type of fishing and casting style so they can advise you direct to suite your "personal" angling needs :sun:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Id say every manufacturer has a "peach rod".

Just my opinions but as an example

Casting - zzippy m427
Heavy ground - sensitive - Greys Appollo Mk3
Heavy ground hauler - Century TTR
Long range match rod AFAW tourney match
Match rod Daiwa AWB129 or AWT 13

these are just off the top of my head!

·
Registered
640 Posts
depends what type of angling you do. they are all equally as good, my t-zero and my 4500 s are my go to swing it and sling it poles, tip tornado match for dogging and cranking. 15ft frenzy for general tarting about, and my fox conquerer match for tourist style scratching about. love them all pretty much equally, depends what you want out of a rod??????

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
used all of them bud and if i had to choose it would be my zippies they are just as good if not better than the other big makes but a hell of a lot lighter,i dont care how they do it ,it just feels outstanding when in use,by the way i have a load of rods from Alba and if you choose that route you will not be disapointed

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I'll not mention what I use as I really doesn't matter.

You need to try out a number of rods and decide what's best for you. The only person that can decide what's best for you is you. I'd decided what rod I wanted before I'd tried things; I went for something completely different in the end and loved it far more. It was right for me then, but isn't totally perfect for me all the time now, so I detect a new investment coming on.

The make of what you get makes no difference. If you put a Century sticker on a Zziplex and told people it was a new Century the Century lovers would love it and the Zziplex lovers would hate it, same the other way around.

There are loads of great brands around, some cheaper, some more expensive. All do a great job. Find what's right for you and you might find you save enough cash to get a pair of Gucci reels thrown in.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i love my centurys ttr especially lovely casting rod and fishing rod will pull up kelp all day long its abit stiff for all fishing but good on the rough stuff and over winter. but saying that iv never tried a zziplex they wont be much difrence in the both if the ron thompson axcellarator said ziplex or century that would be a £300 pound rod the same as all the others

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.