World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at switching my fixed spool out with a multiplier, im pretty nooby to fishing as it is so instead of mastering the fixed spool id rather master the multiplier because i love a challenge!

Can anyone recommend a cheap multiplier for pier fishing? something under £50-£60

·
Registered
17,104 Posts
Hi mate, you might be better off focussing on the fishing part first, rather than potentially struggling with a different reel.
Then again, multis are generally nicer to fish with.
If you are set on it, I'd avoid the budget shore multis though, they really are poor compared with the main brands, I've found.
For £50-60 you could get a decent second hand Abu or Slosh20. The Abus have a better casting rep, but personally I find them a bit too dinky for anything but clean ground fishing - but not a problem if you mostly fish clean ground, of course.

Sloshes are more robust and also a bit more forgiving imo, so possibly a better reel to learn with. If your budget will stretch a bit further, you can get a new one for about £80 or a bit less.

Daiwa 7HTs are another popular brand, but never owned one.

I expect others will have plenty of suggestions too!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can fish and catch but distance is a slight issue, kept budget small as ive not long bought a new f/s. i get frustrated with the bale arm flicking over, line spooling off if its a tad loose, the weight and general horiblenes of the reeling in.

·
Registered
17,104 Posts
i can fish and catch but distance is a slight issue, kept budget small as ive not long bought a new f/s. i get frustrated with the bale arm flicking over, line spooling off if its a tad loose, the weight and general horiblenes of the reeling in.
Well, distance won't improve with a multi, or at least not until you master it. If I'm honest, I can usually get further with a f/s as I can just let rip, but I'd be the first to admit I'm not the best caster.

But yes, f/s are horrible reels to use at times.

Maybe go for a second hand multi then? Must be plenty on here in the classifieds?
The £40-50 "shore" reels in the budget bracket really aren't worth the risk imo.
Bought a couple when I was younger and dafter, and they only lasted a few trips - very underpowered, cheap materials, struggled with a dogfish or lump of weed, gears failed, anti reverse packed up, you name it.
Think most I bought have been binned - one or two are still sat around in the shed.

But a second hand Slosh or whatever in decent nick should last you a few years and at least you won't have bought an expensive paperweight!

G

·
Unless you`ve got a multi rung rod it would be inadvisable to switch using the same rod,if i was you i`d get rid of the FS and buy another with the proceeds,get a better one (shimano aerlex !!) as mutipliers and pier work do not always go hand in hand especially for a beginner......Alan

·
Registered
617 Posts
That would depend on the sort of ground you are fishing over?

Clean and snag free = Abu
Mixed / Heavy / Rough = Penn 515/525 (depending on line thickness required)

I have used Abu's and Penns, and I prefer the Penns for the pure winching power - However - The Abu's did cast further but are no good to me as I fish mixed ground - And you end up getting snagged easy as they have a slower retrieve and do not have the cranking power of the Penns.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi ,

if you have this kind of issues i would definately forget trying a multiplier , untill you master a f/s properly !
Once used to it , a multiplier is very nice to use , but you will have to keep your line tight as well , you will have to deal with birnests , and you will have to thumb the line on the spool unless you buy a reel with levelwind which will cost a lot of casting distance !
There's nothing wrong with a good fixed spool : you will cast as far or even further than with a multi , and you wil certainly fish easier . Maybee , as suggested a lot of issues are caused by a poor quality reel : a bale arm flicking over is not a normal thing and the retrieve is very sweet with a good reel ... try to purchase a decent Shimano or Daiwa (second hand?) , and keep practising .

Gert

·
Registered
340 Posts
Abu 7000 , slosh 20 / 30 , penn 525 / 535 or intrepid sea streak !

·
Registered
89 Posts
Couple of things.
First off I too had line flicking off when there was any loose in it, especially when the bale arm was lifted to cast.
This is more down to the line not being properly spooled up in the 1st place or the line being too stiff. If the line is also looping along its length then it's more than likley it was spooled on wrong. There's Youtube videaos to show hpw to spool up that may well cast some light on that.
The line being too stiff: well monfilament is pretty stiff stuff especially when you go up in breaking strain/line diameter. I still get this problem of the line jumping loose when there's any slack. If you use a typicval leader of say 60lb mono then it'll inevitably happen and there's little you can do about that if you continue using monofilament leader/main line combinations.

So how do you get around this? It's quite simple really. Start using braid. It's limp and won't jump off the spool and has a far smaller line diameter than an equivalent rated mono.
I use 50lb mono on my own reel and I really don't need a leader for that. I do stand by the 10lb breaking strain for every ounce of weight used but unless you're a really powerful caster you'll not come anywhere near an accident using the slightly less 50lb fror a 6oz lead weight. That way you don't need a leader either. You have a clean main line straight through. Far easier to use. Sure, use ordinary mono rig lines and snoods though.

Now having sorted that out you'll find that using a canon release you can hit new distances without any fear of taking your finger end off on casting with thin braid. It certainly put another 30yds onto my casting distance.

Remember that the biggest advantage of using a FS reel is that you won't ever get a birds nest. Distance isn't impeded as you can't better the lack of resistance from line flipping over a spool rim as opposed to having to turn a spool on a multiplier.

Having said all that I do acknowledge that using a multiplier does carry a better feeling of satisfaction just hearing the whirr of the spool giving it big licks on a long cast.

I have an offer to make you bearing that in mind so you'll see my PM

·
13,170 Posts
Just a thought......distance isn't usually an issue when pier fishing. Many species will be hunting around the base of the pier.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just a thought......distance isn't usually an issue when pier fishing. Many species will be hunting around the base of the pier.
You're exactly right there my friend, however a lot of people still like to try and drop a weight in France. Also distance on a pier isn't always going to be the consideration I guess. Most people will go onto beaches in due course.
My own beach must drop off at a ridiculous small slope as the tide goes out buddy miles and distance does become an issue for that.

·
13,170 Posts
The people who confuse me are the ones who blast it out at 90 degrees to the pier......ie parallel to the shore.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
plenty of info here thanks guys :)
Id like to give multipliers a decent go. bloke in fishing shop has offered to let me have a go with his so ill see where i go from there.

G

·
if your gonna try a multi. Just try to keep your cast clean and smooth. Don't try to "whack it out" . I know form years of "bad" experience lol.. Oh and as most have said. avoid a cheap one.. Got to say out of all i have used the 525 mag 2 is very user friendly. But a 6500 cr ct will cast further(imo)
Good luck mate.

G

·
Settled on a multiplier today, at the pier warren mentioned a guy who had one for sale for pretty cheap so i ran to the cash point to get some coins. just needs the brake blocks (anyone got any?) but had a little go erlier and it felt nice. abu 6500 c3 ctmag :)
Should be fine without break blocks as long as you keep things smooth in the cast. The magnets should control things nicely on their own

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hit a snag already, the clutch is dead by the feels of this...

it fails to engage when i push the lever in and fails to disengage when i reel it in, it also changes tension on its own, if i tighten up the drag a bit it will be fine untill i try the clutch then itll suddenly go super loose.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts