World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was going to buy one of these lures, and can get lure 9 or 12. Lure 12 is apparently called sandeel, but I would have said that lure 09 looks more sandeel-like.

What do you guys think?
pencil.jpg
lure 12.jpg
second image shows front view of lure 12.

Cheers

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
Number nines colour looks pretty good.

·
Banned
8,293 Posts
No 9 is a match for the sand-eel but you see a good lot like 12 selling with that bit of blue on them.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,507 Posts
I would say they are both near enough.

More importantly does the profile of the lure match our little wrigglers...

·
Registered
760 Posts
09 or 20 in the day number 05 at night. We get quite a lot of bass on the number 02 colour albeit in a slightly different pattern where I fish.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's an x3, for anybody who doesn't know. I like the 12, but I think the 09 is probably the colour to get.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have the no 12, they cast good but I don't think the action is that great they dart around well but no real roll or wobble to them, I think there's far better sandeel type lures about... Keep browsing!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought an 09.
I've got a few lures with lots of action, so I'm ok with this having a more subtle action.
What is it with this ayu obsession! :cc_surren

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
No 20 is my colour of choice , in fact i have one myself . Casts like a bullet , but have not caught on it , probably due to not giving it much water time in favour of lures with more action . Yet to get my head around these lures with not much action to them , but i believe they definitely have their uses , see it said all the time .

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
They both look like good lures they probs wont make much difference in the water
You would be surprised on how much it is important. Seen/fished a shoal of bass feeding on baby mullet. They would not touch a tackle house feed shallow in any other colour except in mullet. Had it with the 10cm rapala xrap in olive and ayu as well, and with an ima sasuke lure. Finding what the fish is feeding on is important sometimes and is the difference between a good fishing session and a big fat blank. :fishing:

·
Registered
760 Posts
I do find it funny how we obsess(myself included) over colours with lures after all over a few few feet away it's unlikely the fish can see the color anyway(fluorescent colors such as chartreuse excluded) in my opinion contrast should be a much more important aspect(why black is always killer at night) and even then behind profile, action and presentation.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
you have seen it now that should give you somthing else amazingly insightful to talk about,hey why not start a new post about it?
Just pointing out that this is a friendly forum and your ridicule of the original post has disrupted a perfectly good thread . Why would you bother doing that.....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Considering the fact that this thread went awry, I got a good bit of info from the initial posts.

I found that some people chipped in to give a favourite colour, nick said either colour is ok and that the action might also be important , tompake gave some thoughts on night/day preferences, vaughan said he has never caught on one, shandybass has a favourite and said they cast a mile, bruvahaze doesn't rate them and feels there are better options, Rod44 reckons there's some mileage in trying out these slightly actioless pencils. This might have lead onto thoughts on the use of pencil lures....but that's where things went a bit sour.

Quite a few thoughts leading from my initial, naive, dumb, sheeplike post though.

And that's the great joy of discussion forums....they can lead you to start thinking in different ways about what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
if you like this type of lure why not try the:
maria blues code slim in sandeel
storm flutterstick

the maria is a similar sinking pencil lure but has a slimmer profile than like the x3 pencil more sandeely to me, and about the same price,cast a mile too....
or the storm flutterstick this lure is awsome a little smaller than the x3 pencil slightly lighter,casts a mile, but the real bonus is you can buy them for under a £5'er..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I almost bought a flutterstick when I ordered some softies and hooks online, but I thought I'd already spent enough on other stuff. Then I go and spend £9 on the x3. :). Dither dither. Silly boy.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
I can call any m8 a ****er, but not some stranger in the street, the winter cod guys seem to pop in on a wind up from time to time and keep this amusing all the better for it, nexttime the lip snaps on a dtm 175 Sandeel Ile use it as a stickbait.
Like Nick Said if u want a sandeel look for the shape too, (being constructive) never wanted a slender lure in mackerel, or a fat dumpy in sandeel. That x3 didn't do it for me user error probably cast well but not brilliant.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I rely on profile and light or dark regarding colour mostly.I don't think a konishiro feedshallow looks like a mullet at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts