World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I live on the Isle of Coll, an inner Hebridean island and I have been looking at buying a different boat for months but can't really decide what to go for.

I want a boat that will be good for fishing for 2 people very occasionally a third, needs to be a good sea boat, cruise at about 18 kts, be able to cover distances up to 30 miles for trips to other islands and mainland, safe and comfortable for the other half.

Boat will be kept on swinging mooring which dries (sand) on the biggest tides.

£10k budget.

Boats I am thinking about
Orkney 520 - bit small?
Orkney Fastliner 19 - bit big?
warrior 165 - overpriced?
seahog Alaska 500 - not many about?
Predator 165 - not seen any for sale in Scotland.

I have tried buying a couple of these but living where I do it is impossible in this covid tax climate. As soon as I start talking to a seller someone has gone and bought the boat. I can't just go, need to book time of work, ferries, hotels etc to go view boat.

Any advice appreciated.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Having finally managed to buy a boat recently I know where you are coming from! I don't know if there is a sensible solution, buying blind is not sensible but maybe your only way. I don't know how many are sold by companies where you would have sale of goods comeback as opposed to private sales where there is none.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Oh wow, the sting in the tail to a nice and quiet island life. I might have said ask for a few volunteers here who may be close to a boat for sale to look it over but that's liable to go pear shaped too. Your only real bet and with some comeback is to buy through a broker (preferably own stock) where you can forward the deposit pre inspection and then negotiate the price after survey on any break fix items.It's the way we do bigger boats at least and that way you at least know what you will be getting before you buy. i.e. a fully working boat commensurate to the amount paid.

Anybody, what brokers out there?

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Thinking ..... a lot of marinas have associated brokers that will be familiar with the aforementioned sales process. An example of what I am on about would be this example. (Not your boat or price point but an example)

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
It maybe worth asking someone like Cambrian boats to look out for you or North Tyne marine. Drop them a line to explain what you’re looking for and they may be able to get something into stock

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
Hi, I live on the Isle of Coll, an inner Hebridean island and I have been looking at buying a different boat for months but can't really decide what to go for.

I want a boat that will be good for fishing for 2 people very occasionally a third, needs to be a good sea boat, cruise at about 18 kts, be able to cover distances up to 30 miles for trips to other islands and mainland, safe and comfortable for the other half.

Boat will be kept on swinging mooring which dries (sand) on the biggest tides.

£10k budget.

Boats I am thinking about
Orkney 520 - bit small?
Orkney Fastliner 19 - bit big?
warrior 165 - overpriced?
seahog Alaska 500 - not many about?
Predator 165 - not seen any for sale in Scotland.

I have tried buying a couple of these but living where I do it is impossible in this covid tax climate. As soon as I start talking to a seller someone has gone and bought the boat. I can't just go, need to book time of work, ferries, hotels etc to go view boat.

Any advice appreciated.
Many thanks.
You could add Explorer Elite to your list, but a list of 100 possibles is not going to address the problem of not being in a position to buy as soon as the boat is advertised, so as above I would look to brokers or dealers - looking on sites like Boats and Outboards should identify a few brokers or dealers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh wow, the sting in the tail to a nice and quiet island life. I might have said ask for a few volunteers here who may be close to a boat for sale to look it over but that's liable to go pear shaped too. Your only real bet and with some comeback is to buy through a broker (preferably own stock) where you can forward the deposit pre inspection and then negotiate the price after survey on any break fix items.It's the way we do bigger boats at least and that way you at least know what you will be getting before you buy. i.e. a fully working boat commensurate to the amount paid.

Indeed, a sting in the tail of nice island life. One of the things you have to get used to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any idea which of the boats listed might be the best starting point? I have researched pretty well but can't decide. Given the £10k budget a warrior might be out given the crazy current prices.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Have you checked out his website for all the boats he has available? we bought our first boat off him and he was great to deal with. If he has more than 1 boat that is of interest to you it may well be worth paying him a visit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you checked out his website for all the boats he has available? we bought our first boat off him and he was great to deal with. If he has more than 1 boat that is of interest to you it may well be worth paying him a visit.
Thanks, just had a look and it's only the one at the moment, I'll keep checking the site, looks like it's the right kind of place.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Another broker that might be worth having a word with is Lindsey at CTC marine. He's based in the N.E near Middlesbrough but I know he makes regular trips to Scotland to pick and deliver boats.

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
Nice but that is sooo far away! If it was perfect as in a bigger engine then maybe.
you could ask them about delivery - many dealers are geared up to offer it.
But I’d always say it’s worth travelling for the right boat - what’s an extra couple of days if it gives you years of owning the right boat?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This has just appeared on the ‘Explorer Elite Fast Fishing Boats’ page on Facebook
View attachment 1369085
O
This has just appeared on the ‘Explorer Elite Fast Fishing Boats’ page on Facebook
View attachment 1369085
Looks nice and as long as the engine is good would be great. Reading up on explorer elite's like to do my research!
Anybody want to buy a pioner 15 with 25hp Yamaha very low hours, new centre console, good trailer?

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
What sort of things should I look out for when buying an explorer elite?
Ive seen those little Honda's propped to push 45ft house boats (in twin configuration) in fact I hired one of them a few years ago. The houseboat company were replacing the engines when they reached 10,000hrs. In saying that an engine that is being run everyday compared to a recreational anglers vessel that will often do very low hours tends to last far less.

I would of thought the one Clinker posted would manage those speeds you mention and also have amazing economy range. Shame they don't make those boats with underfloor bigger fuel tanks, to help with stability as much as anything else.

If boat sales are anything like here at the moment, I wouldn't be sitting around if something you like pops up. I sold one of my boats last week and couldn't keep up with the calls and messages having had so many. The other boat I bought was a two day drive away and I had to transfer a deposit just to hold it within 30mins of his add going online.

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
What sort of things should I look out for when buying an explorer elite?

Nothing special over and above a Warrior etc - check it hasn't been used and abused, doesn't have stress cracks, deck and transom are solid etc - it's a very simple boat so there's not really much to check. As JonD says, no under floor fuel tanks, but not needed for a 50 with typical UK use and at least there's no tearing the deck up when the tank needs replacing. You can fit a 10 gallon tank in the centre under the splash well and there's room to carry two five gallon tanks either side so you can carry 20 gallons in total quite easily.

The engine is where you need to pay attention - check it starts well, idles smoothly, check oil level and that it looks nice and clean - ask the owner if you can drain a little gearbox oil to check it's clean with no sign of water ingress, tilt and trim works smoothly, battery is being charged as it should etc - but move quickly - they don't half shift (in terms of selling quickly) - might already have gone by now.

But the owners' pages for all makes on Facebook can often be where the best boats appear first - not surprising because it doesn't cost to advertise and you have a captive audience who you know are interested in the boat. Plus you can look back at some of the seller's other posts so you see they're genuine sellers etc etc.

And the way the market is now, move as quickly as you can - i.e. the moment the boat appears contact the seller - you might even have to put an instant deposit down blind, it's truly a seller's market at the moment.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts