World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ... I am about to fish a mark where I have caught a lot of bass on float fished live prawn over the years but I would like to have a go with plugs. The mark fishes best around high tide when the large boulders are covered with some depth of water ... I reckon I need a floating/diving plug to dive down to the rocks, about 6 feet, and then float up towards the surface when I stop retrieving. Would this be a good technique? or would a shallow diving plug be better .... I catch on prawn when the prawn is drifted close to the rocks but maybe a plug would be better fished shallower to isolate it against the sky? dont know. So any advice would be gratefully recieved and if you could recommend a good plug even better ... all I got at the moment is a rapala j11 and a rapala j13 ,,,,,, thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'd say you were in luck. A J11 or J13 sound like pretty good choices. They dive pretty well, but if you leave them alone they float back to the surface. Depending on the speed of retrieve you can get them to go pretty deep, but they allow pretty good control of depth by retrieving slower. If I were in six feet of clear water over rocks, they'd definitely be among the things I'd try.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,735 Posts
Hello ... I am about to fish a mark where I have caught a lot of bass on float fished live prawn over the years but I would like to have a go with plugs. The mark fishes best around high tide when the large boulders are covered with some depth of water ... I reckon I need a floating/diving plug to dive down to the rocks, about 6 feet, and then float up towards the surface when I stop retrieving. Would this be a good technique? or would a shallow diving plug be better .... I catch on prawn when the prawn is drifted close to the rocks but maybe a plug would be better fished shallower to isolate it against the sky? dont know. So any advice would be gratefully recieved and if you could recommend a good plug even better ... all I got at the moment is a rapala j11 and a rapala j13 ,,,,,, thanks.
I love fishing off the top , and know a rock mark over high water , thats 35 , 40 ft deep , to the rocks below ,

believe , me , they will come up , if you present one right , i like the z claw , nice and slow , easy to use , better on a calm , clear day to .

For getting down deep , i would use a zonk , (mullet ) they sink , a bit to slowly , for my liking , but i have sorted that , great lure ,

good luck :fishing1:

·
Registered
369 Posts
for your best chances mate i would look at suspending and sinking plugs especialy the suspending ones as they suspend in the water slowly rising back to surface after you cranked them down and thats when you will et a lot of your takes depending on cost get a smaller one and a slitely larger one to in case the fish are picky that day some good ones here https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Sinking_and__or_deep_diving.html but first give them j11 and 13 a go work them ultra slow just so you get the tail working and if you know the mark well pause them just after you have passed one of them boulders for a good 10 secs . you can also crank them slow to fast quite gently and then let them float to the top again

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this advice. I went prawning tonight but only got a few (early yet I think) so I will be trying the plugs out tommorow. Glad the j11 and 13 are ok and I found what I think is a rapala xrap in my old fishing bag ... its not in a box but I think it might be the 10cm one and I think it is a suspending one not sure though, not sure how deep it goes either ... but I will give it a go ... its orange and the j11 is black on top and silver underneath, it turns out the j13 is not actually a rapala j13 but a cheaper imitation made by storm I think, its silver and blue ... hope the colours are ok.
Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts