World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm a flyfisherman every weekend but my parents are now in Spain and I wish to fish there three or so times a year.

I'd appreciate advice on tackle type and purchase.

I have a lovely Greys 10' 15-45grm spinning rod already.

Do I also need a beachcaster rod?

If so which one?

Don't want to spend too much for a few days a year.

My tackle shop says I'm best off with a tele rod for travel?

What about the 3 piece beach rods such as Shakespeare Mustang 12'?
Is it still to long for travel?
Is it any good or is there better at similar prices?

Reels?

So many questions!
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

W.

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
hi wozzer! it depends on whether or not you intend to beach fish or not. a spinning rod is great for piers and harbours etc, but would not be much good on a beach. if you want to travel etc, a telescopic rod will do you ok, as long as it is of resonable make: i.e penn, shimano etc. if you don't want to spend to much, you can buy a rod and reel combi, for about £40. ron thompson/shakespere. i've got a ron thompson beach caster and reel combi, and thats a good starter. good luck. ,matt. :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A lot will depend on the species of fish that will be in the area of Spain that you will be visiting.

There is a good chance that your spinning rod will be all you will need there. Try and find out what species inhabit the area, and at what distance/depth they will be.

If for example you will get bream and mullet then you already have all the rod that you need. If though you find that there are big rays in the area, then you will need a sturdy beachcasting outfit.

Try and do some research before buying an outfit.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Wozzer,

Totally agree with Chesilmaster, you can get a Ron Thompson 12ft telescopic combo for 27pounds from north west angler centre (thats including P+P as well). Have caught a 7lb conger on mine.

Woodster

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wozzer

There have been several threads on travel and telescopic rods, mainly under "Tackle Questions". If you search all will be revealed.

Welcome to the site. A few members fish in Spain so you should get some help.

Fred

1 - 5 of 5 Posts