World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this should probably be in the tackle section but I want some south wales input as thats where the rod is for.
A mate of mine wants to start fishing but I'm not sure what rod to advise - budget being £100-150, so I can't recommend a TT ! As he is a complete newbie, I'm going to suggest a fixed spool outfit to start with. He doesn't want to waste money on something that won't last and will have to be upgraded soon. The rod will be for general bottom fishing for the usual south wales species and probably on some rough ground if he comes with me!
All suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
anyfish anywhere 13 ft, six & bait ,cant go wrong do,s what it says, nice finnish a good rod at the price and right for the bristol channel

·
Registered
214 Posts
I`d recomend 2nd hand for a 1st rod. Tell him get a good un but 2nd hand. I did this then progressed to brand new 1`s.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
i concur with what rhydrod said get a decent secondhand rod best place to look would be in ewenny angling if your going to buy a new rod i would suggest the anyfish anywhere 6 and bait but beware the eyes are very brittle i know this cause i have to replace them or you could try one of the diawa supercast range superb first rod to start with lol tight lines

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Six'n'bait as a first rod - na, like Tony (F'n'C) said - the eyes are brittle (not fuji's) but the blank is a good action... A newby might be a tad clumsy, so a rod rung with quality eyes that can take punishment will be the best option.
A good secondhand rod or the supercast x range would be a good starting point. I started with cheapy floppy gear with rod and reel package under £40 years ago. Slowly, I progressed to buying top quality gear as my love of fishing grew!!!

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
If your mate could stretch to a little more cash I"ve got a mint, used only once, unmarked,Century CCC ld I want to sell. As F&C says the Diawa Supercast are an excellent rod but will cost about £150.

headlight.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies - the supercast deals look to be good value so I'll get him down to Ewenny angling this week. May as well go straight to a multiplier rather than a FS I reckon as its easy enough to get used to after a few tries.

·
Premium Member
38,239 Posts
Thanks for the replies - the supercast deals look to be good value so I'll get him down to Ewenny angling this week. May as well go straight to a multiplier rather than a FS I reckon as its easy enough to get used to after a few tries.
Does depend on the multiplier, I always figure you can get away with a £40 fix spool job but you need something with mag brakes when talking multiplier.

I would agree it is just as easy to learn with a multi.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Good choice of rod there CS and good for suggesting going straight to a multi. As you say they"re easy enough to use. Also if push came to shove there no reason why your mate couldn"t use a F/S on a rod rung for multi. Plenty of people do. It"s using a multi on a rod rung for F/S that will cause more problems.

headlight

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,629 Posts
I Would Strongly Reccomend A Shakespeare Atlantis For £100 Or The Shakespeare Salt Multiplier Rod Range.... Also the Greys GRX - S......
Cracking Rods At Discount Prices...
Tight Lines And Happy Hunting,
Sam_lougher.

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
some cracking deals can be had on Penn rods at the moment, I saw 12ft powerstixs going for under £ 60 the other day

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,629 Posts
Also, Forgot To Mention...
There's An Excellent Condition Century Fireblade In Barry Angling At The Moment... I Think Gerlad Wants About £140 For It But I Think You'll Be Able To Knock A Few Quid Off And Make A Deal...
Tight Lines,
Sam_lougher.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Went to Rogers Tackle on Saturday, there was a new Conoflex Maverick 6, with fixed spool ringing for £80!!!!
Can't comment on what it's like to cast and fish with though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts