World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Probably a silly question - Many years ago I used a multiplier till it finally broke and in the interest of economy I replaced it with a fixed spool after all E1 says you can cast just as far :g:

My casting range did fall but after a number of years I have now ordered a multiplier - note - I am over 100 miles from the sea and only fish 3 maybe 4 weeks of the year for about 3 hours a day so I am very much a novice even at my age.

Having ordered said multiplier I have had a thought - I use a very basic cast - lead about 4- 6 ft from rod tip straight out behind me - rod tip down rod but high - use right hand to lift rod tip till right hand is high then left hand to bring rod but down.

Now the thought is ...... when I cast with a FS I have my finger on the line and the FS pointing to the sand - cast and the FS is pointing to the sand - in other words the rod revolves 180 deg in mid cast - should I start the cast with the FS pointing to the sky ??

Will be interesting in a few weeks time when I get my next holiday as I will still be using the same rod I have had for nearly 40 years and going back to a multi.

Tony B.

Sorry if this is tooo basic to be true.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The natural way at the start of the cast is fixed spool up, multiplier down and fixed spool down and multiplier up at the end of the cast.

I would have thought it would be a bit difficult to do it any other way.

On differences in casting distance it's worth adding that the multiplier is capable of longer distances but only if it's tuned correctly and the caster is capable of using it. It's easier to put more effort into a cast using a fixed spool reel. Many people have multipliers set up in a fashion where they don't get the increase in distance but can use an easier cast. Some even have them set up so that even a hefty thump doesn't get them any further than a fixed spool would.

John

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These two answers may have explained why I lost distance with a FS - yes it has always felt awkward!!! Sometimes U just don't think about the obvious!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts