World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there was no sign of Shep, I had a little play on his patch this morning. A couple of hours up & over high tide. Wind had been NW over night but had come round so it was almost head on to the shore. Sea was lively & a bit confused but no weed & 6oz grip leads held no problem. Bait was black lug tipped with squid. Only two proper bites, both of them keepers.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
That's a chunky coalie! Well done, sir :)

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
I sure he was watching you on his patch, that is a fat little blotter of a Coalie. Well done:)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Oi! Leave my pets alone!!! ;-)

I was going to go down there today as well but decided against it and got on with some work, good to see some fish showing its been really slow to start this winter!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Nice fishing and glad you had a good feed :).

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Back home in Shetland coalies are the most prolific fish - most people don't eat them, but those that are in the know do! Salted they are delicious and you often see peoples clotheslines full of them in the more remote areas drying out. The livers are meant to be the real treat though, but I haven't tried yet.

Reactions: jbsarn

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I like to eat coalie, better than cod IMHO and far far better than Pollock

Reactions: Stu_

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I really like pollack, more than cod anyway. But whiting and haddock are probably my favourites. Although I used to be able to get torsk, and thats the most delicious of all. Think there's still a nice one about 7lbs I caught in my grans freezer, but it'll be screwed now.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
John dory or hour fresh herring unbelievable for taste and texture, halibut is lovely, haddock is very welcome as well

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Fresh herring in oatmeal :rolleyes:

Reactions: jbsarn

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Well done John, couple of really good sized fish you tempted out, great fishing :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree about the herring. I eat a fair bit of pollock through the summer but I've learned to gut it immediately to avoid the fish taking on an unpleasant flavour. I did that with the coley yesterday & maybe thats why it was so nice.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Taste is a funny thing isn't it, we all rate things differently.
Never eaten herring, apart from kippers, so couldn't say. Pollock though, I really like.
Back home in Shetland coalies are the most prolific fish - most people don't eat them, but those that are in the know do! Salted they are delicious and you often see peoples clotheslines full of them in the more remote areas drying out. The livers are meant to be the real treat though, but I haven't tried yet.
I've eaten coalie a few times, but didn't like it that much. Ok, fun to catch, but wouldn't search it out for food. Tried it in foil over hot coals and fried, neither seemed to do it justice. Might try salting next time. How do you do it Stu?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I don't actually know the salting process. I just remember my grandad making a lot of it when I was a child - I can certainly try and find out for you? Salt fish is a staple in Shetland. It's probably a one recipe fits all type situation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts