World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a lovely float/spinning session down at the shelf on me jack yesterday. it was a lovely afternoon, sea quite calm. i didnt catch anything. however, a polish bloke came down and set up next to me..he was talking about the big bass he has caught down here in the past and was hoping for the same today..

no bass for him but he did catch a beautiful wrasse weighing around 1 and half pounds (using squid). first one iv seen caught down on the shelf. he popped it in a bucket saying he was gonne eat it. i told him they taste like sh*t (in my opinion) but he said he would give it a go anyway.

great day tho and looking forward to going down there again soon

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hate to be a naysayer but anglers should release Wrasse they are very slow growing and territorial,every wrasse i have caught has been released.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i agree, and would add that the one i tasted was not caught by myself. the couple or so i have had the pleasure of catching have always gone back safely.

in the same light i have seen many kids on the river this season fishing for juvenile fish jig style from the edge. many of these fish are being returned dead. this is bad crack for already fragile fish stocks i feel. its a stand call for a father to make if he wants to introduce his kids to fishing at an early stage of their life. I am still uncomfortable with this activity tho and will not adocate it myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts